Chapter 17: A Peaceful Night

Glacier Bay, Alaska, Alpha

Omega Agents

6 days since arrival

The Omega operatives advanced with measured steps, their movements as quiet as a whisper in the vast expanse of the mountain range. The night sky above them shimmered with the radiant hues of the northern lights, a spectacle of nature that drew their gazes upwards in rapt fascination.

With haste tempered by caution, the agents pressed on, their objective driving them ever forward. Their journey had taken them across great distances, from the waters of Tongass to the icy shores of Glacier Bay. Despite the grueling voyage, the vessel they had commandeered from an unwitting traveler still bore a remarkable amount of fuel, a boon that had kept them going through the arduous trek.

Skye's eyes widened with wonder at the ethereal display before them, the dazzling aurora dancing above the jagged peaks of the mountain range. "Ain't that a sight," she whispered breathlessly, her voice filled with awe.

Sova, the seasoned agent with extensive knowledge of the land they tread upon, led the way with a steady pace. "Let us savor this moment while we can," he said, his soft voice punctuating the tranquility of the surroundings. "Once we depart from Glacier Bay, we'll have to find another means of transportation. Perhaps we'll have to steal a vehicle from an unsuspecting driver."

Jett, the devious con artist of the group, stepped forward confidently. "Leave that to me," she said, a sly smirk playing across her lips. Having grown up in Omega, where the populace had a more tolerant view of Radiants, she was adept at playing the role of a hapless victim.

As they trudged on, the freezing chill of the wilderness gnawed at their resolve. But Jett remained undeterred, already formulating a plan in her mind. "I'll play the part of a shivering, penniless girl, lost in the middle of nowhere," she explained, her voice laced with confidence. "And once we've gained their sympathy, we'll coerce them with our weapons if necessary. Should all else fail, we'll take them out."

Skye, however, shook her head firmly. "I won't take part in that," she declared, her voice unwavering. And so, with a nod of her head, Jett took on the role of the helpless victim, ready to use her skills to their advantage.

As they trekked through the frigid terrain, a pair of headlights appeared in the distance, a six-seater pickup truck trudging towards them. Jett sprang into action, putting on her best act of desperation and misery. The other agents watched, suppressing their laughter at the absurdity of the situation.

The truck pulled over, and the driver, a middle-aged man with a cap adorned with the stars and stripes, rolled down his window. "What are you doin' out here?" he asked.

"Chubda," Jett murmured, shivering convincingly.

The driver, apparently understanding that Jett didn't speak English, offered her a ride. Jett took his hand, yanked him out of the truck using her Radiant wind powers, and the other agents piled in.

"Where do we leave him?" Phoenix asked as they prepared to take off.

Sova suggested leaving the man on the side of the road. The others were uncomfortable with the idea but knew they couldn't afford to waste time trying to find him shelter. They ultimately left him behind, and Sova got behind the wheel.

As they drove, the agents rested in the back while Sova kept a watchful eye on the road. He couldn't help but feel a sense of satisfaction as he glanced in the rearview mirror, seeing his team sleeping soundly. But he also knew that their mission could fall apart at any moment.

With no intel on the armored man they were avoiding, they had to be prepared for anything. The only thing they knew for sure was that he had a deep-seated hatred for Radiants.