Chapter 10 (Part 1)

The Uber dropped us off at the olive grove on top of the hill at the easternmost end of SCU, from where we could admire downtown LA and campus below. It was rumored that SCU's founder had died here, overcome at the majesty of the sunset—I supposed if I had to pick a place to die at SCU this would be it. The sun was overbearing and I took respite on one of the shadier benches. Valdez and Lucy sat across from each other, flanking the path downhill like gargoyles guarding a cathedral gate.

"This is the best view on campus," I declared. "I've spent far too many hours here reading and pondering life's mysteries."

"And you have thirty minutes to get to Prof. Pineda's office, so you'd better hurry," Valdez reminded me. He and Lucy waved to me with finality, as if I was embarking on a pilgrimage from which I would never return. I roused myself and began walking down the path, where olive trees intermixed with palm trees and I imagined walking down some Mediterranean lane—our campus felt so industrial, so sanitized, and it was all because they hid these bits of greenery around the edges. I walked slowly, savoring the moment, and I could hear indiscernible strains of their argued conversation tumbling down the mountain. If we didn't have plans later I assumed they would stay there all day.

There was a noticeable gradient between that idyllic oasis and the office park aesthetic of the south side of campus, and I snaked through alleys and around ponds to Huntsman Hall. That same student who'd so rudely lectured me the previous Sunday was lingering right inside the entrance again. Engineers truly had no life. He turned to address me:

"Was it worth it?"

"I'm late for a meeting, so if you wouldn't mind—"

"What are you going to do, attack me with your nunchaku? I saw the Reddit post. Was it worth it?"

I paused and searched his face for a moment, admiring his resolution.

"What major are you?" he asked.

"English."

"Timshel, my friend. Thou mayest. Enjoy your meeting," he said, and walked outside, never to be seen again.

I arrived at Prof. Pineda's office exactly on time, exactly when promised, and let myself in without waiting for her call. Her office looked largely the same as before, except she'd swapped out the candle for a fresh one, and she had one of the many books from her bookshelf open on her desk next to a mug of tea. There was a distinct self-indulgence in re-reading her own writing, though perhaps she had never thought to scrutinize what went out under her own name, putting all faith in Project Narcissus.

"I think The Price of Progress fits our situation well—the book you looked at last time, if you remember. Sit down, Chris. We have much to discuss," she began, gesturing to the seat across from her. I did as I was told.

"How was your week? I was at the game with my husband—he would never miss a SCU game—and you had some inspiring words for us. We can all be heroes and so on. Was that our mechanical Muse speaking through you as Her prophet?"

"No, it was just a little something I improvised in the moment. I was caught off guard. You know, I've been thinking a lot about that day. A lot of things happened then."

Prof. Pineda swirled her tea with a silver spoon she pulled out from her desk, then took a glass jar of sugar and scooped some up, tapping the side of the mug with clear, crystalline resonance to shake it loose. "I always let my tea brew too long, and it becomes bitter. Just a dash of sugar makes it more bearable. What I'm more curious to know is what you thought of Project Narcissus, now that you've had a chance to taste the forbidden fruit. I've been looking through your list of creations, and there's some interesting stuff in there. I saw, let's see... you going off on far too many dramatic escapades to count, a folder of images you've labeled 'Macho Chris,' this girl you've invented named Gretchen—there's some damning stuff in there: your professors may not be able to tell Project Narcissus edited your work, but I can, and even if it doesn't technically violate our university's academic integrity policy some professors would see otherwise. You could be in some serious trouble if this stuff came out."