Chp 12

The house was nice, it was beige with white trimmings and some plants around the porch. I noticed there were two barns instead of one, though I remember the red barn being the one I grew up in. I didn't know what the white one was for.
The large man who lead the humans into capturing us when I was a foal sauntered out of the house and made his way over, causing me to shrink back against Ray. The men shook hands politely and we all began walking towards the red barn.

"So, who's this?" The man asked, glancing back at me. I quickly diverted my attention to take in the fields where a few horses were grazing quietly.
"My daughter, Juliet. We're mostly here for her today actually, so why don't you show us the horses?" Ray suggested, setting a hand on my shoulder.
"We have a couple of older mares, they're about fourteen to eighteen years old the vet said, as well as a few foals born two years ago, some stallions from the wild we've been working with diligently, and a stubborn as heck two year old colt. The troubled horses are in the white barn so I doubt you'll actually see them, but the others are right in here."

I studied each of the horses, I knew where my dam would be. The older horses were in the back while the younger ones were in the front, to make it easier for the humans to get them where they needed to go. I gently stroked the noses of the horses brave enough to stick their muzzles out as I made my way to the back.
A grin lit up my face as I found my dam munching on the hay in the net the humans had gotten, her beautiful bay coat shining in the artificial light just like I remembered.

"Momma...." I whispered, my eyes filling with tears. Her head snapped in my direction, ears perked, and she nickered softly.
"Star?" She questioned, taking a slow step towards me.
"Momma." She sped up her movements and nuzzled her face against mine, opening the floodgates for my tears. I was thankful the men weren't close enough to see, I didn't need them knowing my secret.

"My baby girl, I was worried you hadn't made it out."
"Of course I did," I laughed softly.
"I'm too cool not to." She shook her head and rested her chin on my shoulder, doing her best to hug me. I wrapped my arms around her and buried my nose in her neck, letting her scent wash over me.
"Jules?" Raven called from a little ways away, causing me to flinch back and notice his confused expression.

I wiped my cheeks and grinned.
"Raven, this is my dam, Dreamer. Momma, this is my friend Raven." I introduced, setting a hand on my dams forehead to get her to relax her ears.
"Uh, hi?" Raven greeted, smiling kindly despite how awkward he probably felt.
"He seems nice enough." Momma muttered, nudging my head.

"What did she say?"
"Just that you seem nice." I shrugged and watched as the men got closer. The owners eyes went wide and rushed over, pushing me away from my dam and getting her to lash out at the door, ears pinned.
"That mare is dangerous. Has been ever since her fully disappeared. You should stay away from her." The man warned me, a sharp look in his eyes.

My hands began to shake out of fear of his proximity and I leaned away, squeezing my eyes shut.
"Get your hands off my daughter." Ray demanded, his voice deadly calm.
"That mare put two of my men in the hospital, I'd rather not make your daughter the third person she attacks."
"She wouldn't attack me!" I shouted, shoving the man's hands off of me and rushing into my dams stall for protection.

She wasted no time in shielding me from the boys on the other side of the door, her nose pushing against my face to comfort me.
"I think Jules knows which one she wants." Raven joked to ease the tension between the adults and I just stuck a thumbs up over her back. I could hear one of them huff -I assume it was the owner- before footsteps retreated from the door and I felt comfortable enough to step out.
"Any other family members you wanna save?" Raven asked, startling me.

I put a hand over my heart to calm it down and nodded, looking around.
"My sire, King, and my best friend, Kin. Although the last time I saw Kin we were trying to escape so I'm not sure about him." I frowned softly when I didn't spot my father.
"What do they look like?"
"My sire is a Chestnut Arabian stallion and Kin is a gold looking Friesian."
"I'll help you look."