EIGHTEEN

G I A N A

The sounds of chaos echoed around the tent as I took the arm of another healed soldier, leading her off of the surface she was currently laying on and towards the exit. Our rescue team had just recently returned with our injured soldiers, leaving a few of my soldiers, including Jular and I, to be left to fill and empty the beds with swiftness.

I was now directing my third warrior back to their tent for rest, which thankfully wasn't that far from the medical tent. My entire body continued to be filled with things I had no time to feel, and despite all the chaos, I had to remain calm for the woman I carried. She needed calm, not the nakedness of instability, nor my worry, fear, or...utter exhaustion.

EMOTIONS ARE NOT REQUIRED OF ME.

Her grip tightened on my arm, and I looked over to see her eyes flutter, which had me leading my arm around her instead.

She was about to pass out.

The reality of my soldiers' weariness whenever they had been healed always confused me since I didn't quite share the feeling. The numerous times I had been healed by Nina, left me feeling energised as if I had inhaled the first brush of air for the next eternity. I once contemplated the size of the wound or blood loss, but then I was left to remember my most severe injury and yet still I was unknown to the feeling of fatigue that they displayed.

I contemplated asking Nina about the occurrence but I shy away. I held gratitude and now respect towards the woman, but we weren't friends, and I wasn't sure I wanted to be.

"Thank you general," The woman affirmed once I had laid her down onto the bed and I nodded, covering her with the sheet while watching as her eyes fell closed.

She drifted off into a slumber that I could not relate to.

I quickly exited the space I was in, making my way back to the medical tent that was just as chaotic as I when I left. My eyes caught sight of Jular helping someone off of Nina's bed, and the fact prompted me to retrieve another soldier.

This man—my brother, held less deadly wounds—still weakening but not deadly, this meant the first wave of the storm of chaos had drifted off the shore. We attended to my people in terms of urgency and importance, and the sight of him being next had me knowing we had saved those who were in desperate and quick need of help.

I arrived at the bed, and Nina quickly helped me to transfer the man onto it. My hands were left free, which had me sending a look around the room for any more empty beds, but there were none. Thankfully, we only had a few left to heal, I found myself yearning for that moment of breath. Yearning for the end of this chaos that I knew would only be repeated in a few hours once again.

The definition of insanity is what it seemed I had come to walk with at this point in life. I watched the same thing, over and over and over again, knowing no path of change but yet I still walked, I had begun to define myself foolish. Nonetheless I would rather take the journey with insanity by my side, than bow and leave my life next to the beasts who took the life of my people.

It would be rather—

The feeling of a weight landing heavily on my shoulder had me snapped from my thoughts, and with an immediate turn of my head I was left with the sight of Nina, who looked off balance. The mere observation was only further confirmed, when she began to sway to the floor, and I instantly wrapped my arms around her, keeping her vessel from meeting the ground.

"Nina," I called out to her, but her eyes simply went lower while her body simultaneously grew heavier.

"Nina," Another Alkebulan voiced, and the closeness of the voice surprised me, leaving me to look up to not only meet a face that was nowhere close when I was last met with the sight of her, but to also see her open arms. I transferred Nina into her hold, and the first breath of shock left me at the act, leaving something else to become noticeable...worry? "Ancestors,"