PROLOGUE

G I A N A

"Giana, we have to go." I heard my father call out, and his panicked tone rushed through my mind to break the barrier between my dream state and complete consciousness.

"Why?" I grumbled, while still fighting with the exhaustion that lingered in my body as I gradually pulled back my heavy lids in hopes of seeing him.

"We're—"

"They're coming!" A villager yelled, which immediately broke my tired state as the emotions that flooded his voice pushed adrenaline into my vessel.

"Are they talking about—" I inquired but my statement was split in two, with the remainder of my words returning to its cabin on my train of thoughts as my father interjected me.

"Werewolves? Yes, we need to move fast." My father spoke, confirming my thoughts as his hand took a hold of my arm in a guiding motion to lead me out of my bed with haste.

"Where's mom?" I asked with worry drenching my every word as my heart clenched in fear, while still beating rapidly under the instruction of panic and adrenaline.

"She's in the passage waiting for us." He informed me, and a sense of relief shot through me at the confession as he led me out of my bedroom with his hand now wrapped firmly around my wrist.

"Aren't we going to fight?" I questioned since he raised me to never walk aw—

"It's a losing battle, Giana." He voiced with a sense of sadness that broke the walls of my childhood innocence and preconceived hope.

"But people are dy—" I tried to protest under the instruction of the lessons he had instilled in me as we stopped at the end of the stairs.

A soul that stands for nothing falls for everything.

A leader fights alongside their people.

The weakest man is one who never tries.

Failure is the greatest companion to a wise man.

"Giana, even if we did go out there, you don't know a thing about combat. You lack the knowledge of swordsmanship." My father firmly stated in a manner that had all the statements that my tongue had pulled together with the intention of arguing, falling to their death down my throat.

Except for one.

"I can use my bow—"

"What happens when they rip it from your hands as you reload? Hm? What will you do then?" He boomed, and the volume of his response shook my entire being into submission and compliance. "We don't have much time to tal—"

His words were yanked away from his lips by the sound of the front door a few feet away from us, slamming open to prompt a few pieces of the wood to fall from the force.

The person stepped in revealing themself, which allowed my father and me to be greeted by the sight of one of the very monsters we were trying to run away from.

"Giana, go." He ordered firmly, while reaching for his silver sword that the werewolves were known to be averse to, but the shock that ran through my body had me standing still as if I was paralyzed. "Go!"

The repetition of his order had me immediately moving to run into the room adjacent to the one we were currently in because I knew it would lead to the secret tunnels, where my mother was waiting.

The echoes of voices and screams of horror could be heard beyond the walls of my home, along with various other sounds of chaos and destruction. Each one laid a brick down to build the foundation of trauma as fear squeezed my neck until it was hard to breathe.

Footsteps after footsteps

Thought after thought

Here

I gathered all the strength in my body to push the bookshelf aside so I could enter the passage with the fears, worries, and other emotions that resided in me.

"Giana," My mother immediately greeted me with a burst of relief while coming out of the shadows, but the instant she did her eyes flickered to where I had just entered with a look of expectancy. "Where's your father?"

"A werewolf is in the house, he's fighting—" I started, but my sentence came to a rather abrupt end as a scream was heard from the other side of the door along with a deep growl.

"Shit..." My mother gasped out with fears scraping at the surface of her eyes for me to see, fears and sadness, fears and worry, fears and I—

Suddenly, the door was pushed open, installing even more fear into my mother's eyes as she yanked me further inside, before preparing herself to pull the bookshelf close, but before she could there was a hand.

Fear and sadness strangled my lungs to the point where my nostrils considered retirement since they now lacked usage.

Everything was happening too fast

Thought after thought

Fear

Worry

The end?

The end...

"Latoya, it's me." My father declared weakly, which had my mother reversing her intended actions to instead push the half-closed bookshelf open.

Push

My father stood before us with numerous cuts and bruises littering his melanated skin, along with blood that soaked his torn shirt which was literally hanging on by a thread, and the sight had my mother instantly pulling him into a hug while letting out a breath of relief.

"I thought you—"

"I'm fine, we have to go before that thing wakes up." He ordered while easing his way inside before we all moved to push the bookshelf close.

"Let's go." My mother stated and with her verbal guidance came the beginning of our journey to...safety?

"Where will we be going?" I questioned them.

"Aropia."