SEVEN

G I A N A

Water trickled over my head and down my naked body as I continued to stand in the shower. I hoped deeply that the thin lines of liquid would wash away the energies of battle.

The thoughts

The fears

The worries

The images of my people dying before me.

The images...

EMOTIONS ARE NOT REQUIRED OF ME.

A sigh spilled from my lips as I titled my head down further to gaze at the droplets that missed my body to greet the grey shower tiles below, where my feet were planted in a manner that would reveal to anyone that viewed me, that I was looking for something to hold onto.

My heart swole with heaviness and constricted in pain at the same time, and the contradicting surge of feelings made it hard to breathe. It made it hard to—

EMOTIONS ARE NOT REQUIRED OF ME.

Werewolves? Yes, we need to move fast.

My heart continued to be clenched under the grip of heavy emotions while my past slipped into my present. Memories drenched me with pain that had my heavy heart slamming against my chest.

Where's mom?

She's in the passage waiting for us

Aren't we going to fight?

It's a losing battle, Giana

It's a losing battle, and the reality traveled swiftly to break the walls of my heart and preconceived and blinding hope. It felt as if I was leading my men to their death and blindly they followed under the hypnotization of hope; hope that I could lead them to victory, hope they and their family would live, hope that Aropia would be spared from destruction, hope.

They held hope even though the truth lingered in all our minds.

We were destined to die.

A soul that stands for nothing falls for everything.

A leader fights alongside their people.

The weakest man is one who never tries.

Failure is the greatest companion to a wise man.

The teachings of my father danced in my mind, but isn't a fool one that continues to disregard the truth.

Giana, even if we did go out there, you don't know a thing about combat. You lack the knowledge of swordsmanship.

I did now but—

What happens when they rip it from your hands as you reload?

I die

I stared death in the eyes and he looked at me with expectancy, with no surprise as if the second I decided to fight I decided to die.

Giana, go

Go!

Gener—

EMOTIONS ARE NOT REQUIRED OF ME.

I die

The whispers of death lingered in my mind, befriending my trauma and together they stood on my shoulders, weighing me down further.

EMOTIONS ARE NOT REQUIRED OF ME.

I die

The mask that sat on the face of my hope began to slip to reveal that lie that it hid.

EMOTIONS ARE NOT REQUIRED OF ME.

I die

The present emotions that roamed throughout me scraped against the walls of my mind, leaving it too bleed just as vicious memories that had parts of me that could not be seen by eyes battered and bruised.

The fact they could not be seen simply meant no one would rush to save me.

EMOTIONS ARE NOT REQUIRED OF—

"Fuck," I breathed out as the sound of pounding on my door yanked me from my thoughts to throw me aimlessly into reality, which seemed to be no better than the space of my mind because both of them held promises of death.

"Who is it?" I called out loudly enough so the waves of my voice could break past my bathroom and bedroom door to greet the person outside.

SILENCE

I waited and waited but nothing came, but silence, and the fact had me releasing a sigh as I lifted my hand to turn off the shower, whose pouring water had left my fingers wrinkled but had failed to grant any change to my current state.

EMOTIONS ARE NOT REQUIRED OF ME.

I die

EMOTIONS ARE NOT REQUIRED OF ME.

I d—

EMOTIONS ARE NOT REQUIRED OF ME.

I—

EMOTIONS ARE NOT REQUIRED OF ME.

I would rather die at war than be captured and led by those beasts.

At that decision, my hand ascended to pull open the glass shower door, so I could exit with a grab of my towel off the rack to dry my body.

"Who is it?" I called out again and once more I was greeted by silence, which had me settling on the fact that my mind simply began to create sounds from the stress created by the war, and just, everything w—

EMOTIONS ARE NOT REQUIRED OF ME.

I would rather die at war than be captured and led by those beasts.

EMOTIONS ARE NOT REQUIRED OF ME.