Twenty-Five

Steve worked with Tony, chopping wood, outside the house. He needed to do something, to take his mind off things.

'Thor didn't say where he was going for answers?'... Tony asks him. Steve looks across to Clint, on the porch with his kid.

'Sometimes my teammates don't tell me things..'.. He picks up another log to chop... 'I was kind of hoping Thor would be the exception..'.. He places it on the stump.

'You're talking about my sister, right?..'.. Tony looks at him... 'We don't really know what the Maximoff kid did to her, showed her..'

Steve swung the axe down, splitting the log, and getting another, just as Tony did... 'Earth's mightiest heroes. Pulled us apart like cotton candy..'

As he placed the log on the stump, Tony picked up his axe... 'Seems like you walked away all right..'

Steve looked over at him, seeing the confused look on Tony's face... 'Is that a problem?'

Tony wondered exactly as to what Cap saw. No one could get off that easy... 'I don't trust a guy without a dark side..'.. Tony swung his axe down, before looking back at Steve... 'Call me old fashioned'

Steve knew Tony was a curious person, and it seemed like he was beginning to lose trust in him... 'Well, let's just say you haven't seen it yet..'.. His thoughts quickly flicked to Lia.

He watched as Tony put his axe down, scowling at him... 'You know Ultron is trying to tear us apart, right?..'.. Tony took a few steps towards him.

'Well, I'd guess you'd know..'.. Steve swung his axe, splitting another log... 'Whether you'd tell us is a bit of a question..'

'You think I'd deliberately put her in harms way? She's stubborn, strong, ruthless and damn protective. She took a bullet for you, and you still question as to whether she's on our side? They got her, who knows where..'.. Tony took another few steps towards Steve.

'Ultrons words..'.. Steve stopped, and looked at Tony... 'That her, more than the rest of us wants to protect the world. That she has the power to recreate it, make it evolve..'.. Steve saw fear in Tony's eyes... 'I don't think he'll kill her, I think he's going to use her. And he took her, because you pushed her. She was trying so desperately to prove herself..'

Steve had enough, and ripped the log he held in half, before turning back to Tony... 'If you hadn't pushed her to be on the team, she wouldn't have been there in the first place. That's on you..'

Steve saw the guilt in Tony, as Laura walked over... 'I'm sorry Mr Stark, Clint said you wouldn't mind, but our tractor doesn't seem to want to start at all. I thought maybe you might..'

Steve watched Tony sigh in defeat, shaking his head... 'Yeah, yeah, I'll give it a kick..'.. He says to Laura and begins to walk off... 'Don't take from my pile..'.. Tony tells him.

Steve closes his eyes for a moment, letting out a breath. He shouldn't have said that to Tony, he didn't know why he did. Running a hand over his face, he carried on chopping wood, throwing all his strength into it, as he tried to think of anything else, but what might be happening to her.

------------------------------------------------------------

Later that evening, the team had sat together for a meal, with Fury, as he gave them an update on what was happening. They needed to regroup and figure out the next move.