xxiii. COMING CLEAN / HATCHING A PLAN

LEO.

——- Leo jolted awake at a sudden noise, sitting at a table in a sidewalk café. "Falling!" Leo grabbed the table. "No — not falling. Where are we?"

He looked around, assuming this was just a dream. The air was brisk, but not unpleasant, which was surprising for December. He looked around and saw other tables, with a mix of business people, bicyclists, and college kids sitting and drinking coffee.

He smelt eucalyptus trees. Or, at least what he assumed were eucalyptus trees. People passed by quaint little shops on the side of the road and the street was lined with bottlebrush trees and blooming azaleas, which really threw off the winter vibe.

All of his friends sat in chairs around him, seemingly just waking up. The first thing he noticed was the new outfits they all had.

Jason blinked as he tried to get his bearings. He then made a little choking sound and focused on Piper. "What are you wearing?"

Leo turned to the girl and she lightly blushed. She was wearing a turquoise dress, black leggings, and black leather boots. She had a silver charm bracelet on her wrist and an old snowboarding jacket. She pulled out her dagger and studied her hair in the reflection. She had her hair done too.

"It's nothing," she said. "It's my — it's nothing."

Leo grinned, "Aphrodite strikes again, huh? You're gonna be the best-dressed warrior in town, beauty queen."

"Hey, Leo." Jason nudged his arm, "You look at yourself recently?"

"What... oh."

Leo realized he was not an exception. He was wearing pinstripe pants, black leather shoes, a white collarless shirt with suspenders, his tool belt, and Ray-Ban sunglasses.

"God, Leo." Piper tried not to laugh, "I think my dad wore that to his last premiere, minus the tool belt."

"Hey, shut up." Leo shot back. He then heard a slight chuckle from next to him, where Y/n sat. She held the back of her hand against her mouth to suppress the laughter but ultimately failed. Leo turned red.

"Wow, I thought we were friends, N/n."

"We are, you just look goofy. It's cute."

Leo was sure he turned even more red.

He quickly turned away from the girl, completely flushed as he heard Piper start to giggle too. Leo let his head fall to the table.

"I think he looks good," Coach Hedge added. "Course, I look better."

Leo, still resting his head against the table, turned onto his cheek so he could see the satyr's outfit. His eyes widened when he saw.

He looked like pastel throw-up. Aphrodite had given him a baggy canary yellow zoot suit (Leo had no idea why he knew what that was) with two-tone shoes that fit over his hooves. He wore a matching yellow broad-brimmed hat, a rose-colored shirt, a baby blue tie, and a blue carnation on his lapel. Which he then sniffed and quickly ate.

"Well," Jason began, "at least your mom overlooked me."

The blonde was dressed in a simple jean and t-shirt combo, the shirt being the same purple one he wore at the Grand Canyon. He had new track shoes on, and his hair was freshly trimmed.