The Writing's On The Wall

Not too much to add, but I'll be slowly wrapping up the uploading of this story of the next week or so! Enjoy!
-Jooostan

The Fierce God Given Life
Chapter 15: The Writing's On The Wall

"That was really stupid, Grasshopper!" Romani scolded as she sat down next to Link.

It was still early in the morning, and the moment the ranch sisters got the letter from Anju explaining how Link came home in the wee hours of the morning, injured, they set off to Clock Town. However, Anju and Kafei were still in the dark as to how it happened. Link hadn't told either of them yet. Cremia hardly minded, she was concerned for Link, and Romani was as well.

"I know... I'm sorry." Link replied, his voice small. When he explained what happened to him after he was knocked out, he knew he'd get a mouthful from everyone. It's why he purposefully neglected to tell his adoptive parents. However, Romani's expression didn't convey anger like he thought it would, just worry.

"Grasshopper... Romani needs to know what happened. Why were you acting so... odd yesterday?" Romani asked. Link took one look into her eyes and knew he had to tell her what was going on. She deserved to know by now.

But Link couldn't muster up the courage, at least not yet. He just looked down in sorrow. He never wanted to have to bear his own burdens with anyone. He already had with Anju and Kafei, but Romani was different. He couldn't exactly pinpoint how she was so different, but she was.

When Romani got no response, she just hugged her friend. He was hurting on the inside, she could tell. Their hug lasted a long time. Link could feel Romani's heartbeat, and she could feel his. The comfort was beginning to melt him and his heart.

"I- I had to give them peace..." Link began. Romani didn't dare interrupt. "There were souls within those masks... and they had families. But they never knew what happened to their loved ones."

Link's mind went back to the Deku Butler's Son, Darmani, Mikau, and even the Fierce Deity. All of them had something left behind here. The only one who had their past still shrouded in mystery was the almighty god, who's soul was confined to the mask under the bed. However, it was slowly but surely fitting into a bigger picture. Even if any time Link ever learned something was before, during, or just after a great battle.

"I had to tell them... because you had reminded me of them." Link looked at his best friend. "It- It didn't go well..."

"They'll forgive you, Grasshopper! Romani knows they will! One day!" The ranch girl's cheering demeanor helped ease Link. She always had a way of raising the mood of almost any situation. He admired her for being able to do that so naturally. Link embraced his best friend again; a slight sniffle being heard from him.

"Romani... I- I just don't want you to g-get hurt..." Link whimpered, finally starting to let out some of the emotions he had bottled up for so long. He rested his chin on Romani's shoulder and the embrace between the two tightened. Moisture began to well up in his eyes as his mind wandered to everything that had happened to him since that fateful morning in Kokiri Forest. All the people he had met in Hyrule, and how a few of them met terrible fates, all because of him, in a way.

"I've lost a lot... I can't lose you too... N-Not ever." The hug between the two children parted, and Link gazed into Romani's eyes. Everything about her made him feel at peace. At peace with everything he'd seen over the course of his life. He refused to lose that feeling.

"Link, you don't need to worry about losing us." Romani called him by his actual name again. The little girl had a proposition for her best friend. "If we can help... you won't need to lose us!"

"Skull Kid is getting good with his stick! Jim just earned his training sword from the Sword Master! And Romani's good with her bow!" Romani parted from Link and held his hand. Her grip was firm. "Grasshopper doesn't need to face things alone..."