Not Nearly Enough

Last chapter for now! I think this is one of my best, but lemme know what you think! I hope you all have enjoyed it! Oh yeah, also, please forgive any spelling errors that I may have forgotten to fix.
-Jooostan

The Fierce God Given Life
Chapter 7: Not Nearly Enough

Once Link finished his explanation, he had no idea what to expect. There was no look of disbelief from the two adults in front of him. Only expressions of understanding.

"I'm so sorry, Link..." Kafei muttered. He took Link's hand and held it. "We had no idea what you've been through."

Link was baffled. Tales of stopping the King of Evil, saving a land the people of Termina didn't know about, sending the moon back, fighting a creature he could only describe as 'pure darkness'? They believed it. When he told the couple of his ambitions to learn about the things he'd seen, that was when he was most nervous. The shakiness of Link's voice and how he struggled to admit it all was proof enough, scars or no scars.

"Hey, look at me" Anju put her hand underneath Link's chin and made his gaze meet hers, looking into the young boy's crystal blue eyes. "It's ok. There's nothing wrong with what happened in the past, or what you aspire to do now."

Anju's voice was almost angelic. The burdens Link carried had all gone away, and he never felt better. He felt like he had to repay them somehow.

"Can... Can I- hug you?" Link asked, his voice felt so small.

Anju was bewildered by his question. She was hurt by the need he apparently felt to ask. But without hesitation, she nodded.

As soon as he saw her head nod, he hugged her. The best he could, of course. He still didn't know what to do with his arms exactly, he felt disrespectful touching Anju's back for some reason.

"Thank you..." Link whispered. Anju smiled at him, and then turned out the light by the nightstand.

"Get some sleep. You need it." She told him. She kissed him on the cheek before leaving the room. And that night, Link did sleep. Comfortably.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over the next week, Link made a near complete recovery. The day after his hug with Anju, he was able to walk again, albeit with some assistance from Kafei. By the next day, he was up and about again. He hadn't set foot out of the inn yet, the only bandage he still had on was the one wrapped around his leg. Fortunately, he was able to move out of the employee room and made himself at home in the 'Knife Chamber', the next room over, all at the behest of Anju and Kafei. All throughout the week he regained his strength, planting the seeds between himself and the innkeepers.

Hopping off his bed and looking at the table next to the fireplace, he picked up Romani's letter that sat by the vase. While she wasn't able to visit him since she last did when he woke up, she sent him a letter every morning, which Link responded by dinner time. The Postman was pretty happy with the new deliveries, able to challenge himself with the new change of schedule.

"Dear Grasshopper!" Link started rereading the letter silently in his head. He had already gone over it three times prior, but he couldn't resist his imagination going to work, picturing how eagerly Romani had written it. "Romani hopes you're doing alright! When you told me you were up and walking again, Romani was so happy for you! Hopefully you're feeling even better when you read this! Your Best Friend, Romani."

Link did feel better when he first read it, and he felt even more confident in his recovery when he finished reading it this time. What eventually broke him out his daydreaming was Tatl by the door.

"Oh Liiiiink! You up?" She asked, a little too loud. Link opened the door. "Ah, there you are, doofus."

Tatl sat down on the table and was able to tell Link something when she noticed Romani's letter. "Ooo! What do we have here?" She had a sly smirk as she looked at the letter. It still sat closed, the only thing on the envelope was the words 'To Link'.