Chapter 54

The next morning Jennifer arrived at work early, ready to tell Todd off herself. She was surprised to see her boss already there. Cynthia asked her to shut the door.

"Is this about Ellie?" Jennifer said sitting down across from her stern face.

"Yes, and much more," Cynthia said opening the file in front of her. "What I'm about to tell you does not leave this office, no matter what."

"Of course," Jennifer said wondering how bad it could be.

"Todd is the one we're investigating for sexually harassing Ellie," Cynthia explained.

"Wow," was all Jennifer could think to say.

"You don't look surprised," Cynthia said studying her face.

"I can't say that I am," Jennifer said wishing she could tell Cynthia what else she knew about Todd. "He's always been a smarmy bastard."

"I agree, but that doesn't leave this room," Cynthia said leaning back in her chair. "He cannot know we're investigating him. Because if he is doing these things, we need to nail him. We want our case airtight. He also deserves a fair shot, if he's not doing these things."

Jennifer wanted to tell Cynthia that he was most definitely doing these things but stopped herself. It would be up to Selena to decide if she wanted to tell. Now at least Jennifer had a way to help take Todd down.

"What do you need me to do?" Jennifer asked eager to help.

"I'm telling you because I need you to type up Ellie's statement along with any of the other girls in cosmetics that come to see me," Cynthia said indicating a list on her desk. "I'm going to be interviewing all of them quietly, supposedly about their new compensation plan. If any of them have anything to add to our case, I will take their testimony and have you type it up."

"Great," Jennifer said grimly but happy that there was something that she could do to help. She knew that she would be forced out of the office most of the day and started to gather her things to do her new hires in the managers' office. "Just let me know if you need anything. I'll be doing new hires and getting ready for orientation tonight."

"Do not say anything to Todd," Cynthia said her voice sounding with the steel resolve that Jennifer felt. "Or Selena."

"Aren't you going to tell her what might be going on with her own people?" Jennifer asked, knowing that her friend might be more willing to come forward if she knew there were others.

"She might be covering for him," Cynthia said, shocking Jennifer. How had these two women gotten so far from knowing each other? Jennifer wanted to jump to Selena's defense and prove that she was not only not covering for Todd but could help take him down because she had become one of his victims. But Jennifer knew it wasn't her story to tell. She had already been up all night kicking herself for telling Austin.

Instead, she nodded and went about her business, keeping busy most of the day. Orientation went well, if a blur, because she didn't really remember giving it. She was exhausted at the end of the day when she went to get her stuff, but she knew she had to see one more person before she left the store. She found Selena working behind the Mac counter, putting product away. Destiny was nowhere to be found.

"Hey," Jennifer said her heart aching; she wanted to hug her friend. "Do you have a minute?"

"Sure," Selena said with hesitation in her eyes. "Come back to the stockroom with me I have to get more product."

They walked quietly, smiling at a few of her associates who said hello to Jennifer as they went by. When they were alone in the stockroom, Selena asked, "What's up?"