Chapter 20

"Perfect!" was all Austin said before he went over to Selena and Todd. Jennifer sipped the fresh beer the server had brought her and watched him get in the middle of their argument, seemingly to end it by pushing a button on the machine. He easily sprang onto the stage and grabbed the microphone. Her stomach tightened with nervousness for him. How could he just do that? How could he just get up in front of a room full of strangers and sing? Even if she was a good singer, she wouldn't have the guts to do it.

"This one goes out to Jennifer in human resources," Austin said into the mic before the song even started. She thought she was going to die. Her heart started racing. She started sweating, as she heard Selena yell a whoop across the room and Todd clap. She did not get out of her chair. She shot daggers at Austin across the room who merely winked at her and made her feel even more silly. Soon the opening stanzas to a song she knew all too well started to play.

"Jenny, Jenny who can I turn to," Austin started perfectly on pitch. He sounded amazing. She swore could hear the panties dropping in the restaurant all around her. For a moment, she got sucked in and was able to enjoy the song and his voice. She thought if she did have a wedding someday and her family could get along, it would be wonderful to have her groom serenade her. But with anything but this song. Her dad had been singing it to her for her entire life. "Eight-Six-Seven-Five-Three-Oh-Nine." The song ended and she felt Selena at her side grabbing her arm. She wanted to get out of there. She didn't have any idea what to say to Austin. She didn't know if he was just trying to embarrass her or if he really liked her or what. She put her coat on just as he got back to the table.

"Hey, didn't you like my song?" he said a little bit breathless and a little bit sweaty from the lights on the stage. "Heard it too many times?"

"No, you're awesome," she said truly hoping she didn't sound like a groupie. "It's just late and I have to go."

"Let's do this again sometime," he said. Disappointed? Maybe.

"Karaoke?" she asked knowing for sure that he would try to force her into singing. People who loved it always did.

"No, no, no. Let's just get together and talk; you and me," he said blocking the way between Selena and Todd so they couldn't hear what we were saying. "You know, a date."

A date? A date? She hadn't been on a date in years. The closest she'd come would have been watching a movie with one of her brother's friends, who she had a huge crush on growing up. He had called her when he was coming through town, and she had been sorely disappointed when he didn't make a move on her during their Netflix session after dinner.

A date? What would she wear? Where would they go? She would have to talk to Austin all night long. She stared at him. He was staring back at her waiting for an answer. She realized that it had taken him a lot of courage to ask her on a date even after singing a song to her.

"Sure," she said sounding anything but sure. She hoped he didn't take it to mean that she didn't want to go with him. There was a part of her that knew she shouldn't. But try as she might, she was so happy she couldn't remember why.

"Cool. How about Saturday night?" Austin said looking like he wasn't going to take no for an answer. "I work in the morning, so I don't have to close."

"Cool," she said echoing him, hoping that she sounded sincere. He nodded. She picked up her purse as he helped her into her coat. He walked her to the door. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"I'm off tomorrow," he explained. "But I'll pick you up Saturday at six if that works?"

"It does," she said as she staggered away from him and towards her car. He smiled and waved and waited, once again, to ensure she wasn't murdered in the mall parking lot. When she got in the car all she wanted to do was sit and think but didn't because he was waiting for her to go. She started up the car, gave him a quick wave, and sped home to Zack Morris and Kelly Kapowski.