Chapter 44

In the HR office, Jennifer was pleasantly surprised to see that Selena had some new hire paperwork filled out correctly and ready for a new person.

"Is this a replacement for Blanche's granddaughter?" Jennifer asked, knowing that Selena didn't have an opening.

"Yes, as soon as I fire Ellie, I'm hiring this person."

"Then you better actually write her up."

"I did," Selena said pulling out more paperwork. Jennifer quickly glanced over it and saw that while it was technically finished, it was lacking in explanations.

"It's almost ready, just add a few more things for you and Cynthia to go over with Ellie for improvement," she said handing it back.

"I don't want improvement; I want her gone," Selena said trying to hand the paper back to her.

"Yes, but she has to have an opportunity to get better or there's no point in writing her up." Jennifer handed the paper back again and, for once, was relieved to see Todd coming to interrupt them.

"Hey, ladies!" Todd said flashing his pearly whites at them. They barely nodded at him. "Why the sour faces?"

"Jenny still won't let me fire Blanche's granddaughter," Selena said huffing.

"Well, that's good, I don't need my secretary all pissed off," Todd said, giving Jennifer the thumbs up.

"I'm not stopping her because she's Blanche's granddaughter; I'm stopping her because she has to do it properly," Jennifer said glowering at his thumbs up.

"Whatever it is you do, make sure I'm not here that day," Todd said and paused like he was waiting for them to laugh. When he got no response, he went on, "So how about this weekend, ladies?"

"Aren't you going to hang out with your wife?" Selena said and looked instantly mortified. Jennifer was horrified. Her hands involuntarily went to her mouth as they both watched Todd for his reaction

"Excuse me," he said sounding like he didn't believe she had said it either.

"I'm sorry, Todd, I'm just frustrated right now," Selena added turning bright red. It was the first time that Jennifer had ever seen her friend get flustered, let alone totally embarrassed. She knew that Todd could not fire her on the spot thanks to the write-up policies, but she did know that he could make her life miserable.

"We just heard some gossip," Jennifer said trying to help her friend out. "You know, with the new policy everyone's talking."

"Oh, really," Todd said closing the door and then Jennifer feared he really would fire her friend on the spot. "What are they saying?"

"Just that you have been going out with Austin every night," Jennifer said hating to bring Austin into it. "And that you might have a girlfriend."

"You can ask Austin, but I don't have a girlfriend," Todd said. Jennifer wanted to tell him he didn't need to explain himself to them. But if they kept things friendly and it kept him from firing Selena it was worth it. She was surprised when he collapsed into a chair and put his head in his hands. "Margo and I are separated."

"What?" Selena said sitting up in her chair and looking less humiliated. And more sympathetic.

"Yes, it happened a couple of months ago," Todd said with actual tears in his eyes. Jennifer was shocked that Todd had feelings and, even more so, that he would show them to his employees. She almost felt bad for the guy. "Margo asked me to move out, and I told her I couldn't because my cousin was coming. But as soon as Austin left. I had to find a place. That's why I wanted to go out so much. I hate going back to my empty apartment. Margo even kept the dogs."

Margo and Todd lived in an amazing house that Jennifer had visited for their store Christmas party the year before. She had wandered through the house and been so impressed with the square footage and all of the upgrades; it was hard to think of them ever having any problems in their life other than which store was making more money. Now she sat looking at this broken man and realize that they were humans, just like their associates.

"Why haven't you told anyone?" Jennifer asked. People may think a lot more of Todd if he was honest about his situation. She didn't want to dwell on the fact that that might have applied to herself.

"Peterson's is so in love with the idea of us as a power couple, that Margo thinks it would be better for both of our careers to not tell anyone," Todd said shaking his head. "I'm just going along with what she says because I don't want to lose her. I'm a flirt and I know I screwed up a lot, but she's my girl. She's the one that I have built all this with and she's the one I want to enjoy it with. So, I just keep hoping that she'll ask me to come home."

"I'm sure she will," Selena said reaching over and putting a hand on his knee. Jennifer didn't know if Selena really thought it was true or thought it was what he wanted to hear, but she nodded along just in case.

"That's why it's been so awesome having Austin here," Todd said putting his hand over Selina's. "I work so much I've had a terrible time making friends since we moved here a couple of years ago. And now I have a built-in one, and it's just been so nice to go out with him and you guys and have a good time."

"I'm so sorry. We didn't know," Selena said looking up at Jennifer. Jennifer would have shaken her head, but Todd was watching her. She felt sorry for the guy, but she really didn't think that Selena should be getting involved with him or his drama.

"What are you guys doing this weekend?" Todd said looking earnest, lost, and lonely. Probably something he had perfected in the mirror to use on soft souls like Selena.

"We were going to go out and celebrate Jennifer's application for the HR manager position over in MidRivers," Selena said, and Jennifer wished she could stomp on her foot under the desk.

"Yeah, just for a couple of drinks. I have to get home to give my cat his medicine."

"I heard you were applying for that, Jenny," Todd nodded. "You can use me for a reference, and I'll tell them how good you are. Valerie loves me!"

"Thanks," Jennifer said instantly feeling guilty. Here he was willing to give her the seal of approval from the top-selling store manager in the Midwest, and she wanted to poo-poo him. She sighed. They were going to end up going out with the boys. She only hoped that she could keep her resolve about remaining just friends with Austin.

"Why don't you join us?" Selena asked not checking with Jennifer.

"We wouldn't want to infringe on girl time," Todd said although he already looked instantly happy.

"You wouldn't be infringing." This was as close to offering an invite as Jennifer could get.

"Alright then," Todd said clapping his hands and standing up. He suddenly didn't appear upset over the state of his marriage at all. He suddenly looked like he was back to being his old self. An asshole with a perfect smile. "We will see you, ladies, Saturday night."

"What were you thinking?" Jennifer said after Todd was out of earshot.

"He was so sad and lonely, and I know what that's like, Jenny", Selena said giving her friend a brief hug before heading to the door. "We're all just going out as friends. We will all keep it that way."

"I sure hope so," Jennifer said.

Later that afternoon, Austin appeared in her doorway. He leaned casually against the frame, a full-page GQ ad in his black suit. Her eyes caught his red tie still swinging in movement before she met his eyes. He didn't say anything.

"May I help you?" she said, working hard not to fan herself.

"I heard we're going out this weekend?" he asked, not too loud but not quietly enough. "I thought that was off limits."

"Thanks to Todd, we're all going out as friends," Jennifer explained but couldn't help but smile at him when his eyebrows shot up.

"That sounds just great," Austin said with a wink and wandered away as Jennifer tried to ignore the ripples of pleasure, he sent throughout her whole body with four simple words.