Chapter 41

Monday came quickly and before Jennifer knew it, she was back in the office awaiting Cynthia's morning call. Her boss had texted to say that she wasn't coming in because there was another emergency in the St. Claire store. She reveled in the fact that her boss wasn't there, and she had the office to herself. She closed the door and called multiple candidates for Austin following up on the ones she had contacted on Friday. She set him up two interviews and was pleased with herself because she was convinced these were ideal candidates. She sent him a text.

You have interviews tomorrow morning and afternoon

She strummed her fingers on the desk and waited for him to reply. She had skipped the morning meeting because the openings hadn't changed, and Todd hadn't bothered her. She didn't want to see Austin. As much as she had enjoyed cocooning over the weekend and deciding that her life was just fine the way it was, a little part of her was worried that if she saw Austin, she would admit to herself it was all a lie. Was lying to herself worse than lying to her friends? She didn't know and she didn't want to find out.

Great, thanks again:)

Jennifer stared down at the smiley. Was it a thankful smiley? Was it a hopeful smiley? Or was it just a smiley that he sent everyone, including his sister?

Would you like to tell me about them over lunch?

Now Jennifer knew that the smiley meant something. Her thoughts raced at the idea of sneaking off to lunch. Cynthia was gone and Todd was otherwise engaged. Selena was there, though, and Jennifer knew that lying to her best friend was just as bad as lying to herself.

I still don't think that's a good idea.

Jennifer's pulse quickened as she sent the text. Would he be mad? Would he be upset? She hated faceless technology at that moment.

That's cool.

But was it? Jennifer almost went to ride the escalator just to get a glimpse of his face. She quickly sat back down and mentally slapped herself. That would accomplish nothing. She knew she had done the right thing. She continued to work until the phone rang and it was her boss.

"I've had a helluva morning," Cynthia said calling half an hour later than she usually did. "But I have news."

Jennifer's heart jumped again but she knew it had to be good news, right? She doubted her boss would say that about something bad. I have news! You're about to be fired!

"Yes?" Jennifer said realizing that her boss was waiting for her to answer.

"Barb just announced her retirement," Cynthia said with relish. "She can't wait to get her hands on those grandbabies."

"That's great!" Jennifer said, silently glad that Selena had been wrong about Cynthia stringing her along. "When will they open the position?"

"It'll be open later today," Cynthia said returning to her normal matter-of-fact voice. "There will be two weeks for everyone to apply, then the HR and store managers will meet the candidates, and finally our director, Valerie, will decide."

"That's great," Jennifer said again, feeling embarrassed. She thought of Austin laughing at her overuse of it when planning their date. Shaking her head, she pushed him from her thoughts and asked, "Should I put you down as a reference?"

"Oh no, dear, they will already ask me all about you," Cynthia said apparently waiting for such a question. "You need to put down the people you've worked with over the last couple of years. People that will say you have what it takes to do this job."

Jennifer sucked in her breath thinking about the old managers that she might have to contact. She had an excellent working relationship with her old store boss, but the woman had been a bit of a firecracker and very unpredictable. Jennifer could only hope that her former boss would give her a good review. It would either be glowing or say that she was an idiot. With Mary, you never knew.

"Okay," Jennifer said taking out a notepad and starting to take notes. "I will get started on it tomorrow."

"No," Cynthia said sounding like she had banged into something. "Go ahead and fill it out now. I'm your boss and I'm giving you permission because this is career related. You need to do it now. I've already told Valerie that you're serious about this and that I think you can do it. So, you need to show that you're ready and get in there and get your application done."

Jennifer's heart warmed towards Cynthia. Maybe she shouldn't have called her Dragon Lady in her head so many times? She was truly touched that her boss thought this much of her.

"Thank you, Cynthia, I will get started right away,"

"Anytime, dear, I want the right people for the job, now show me you can do it," Cynthia said and was gone.