22...Boom companion

Start from the beginning

"And then when I was speaking to witnesses they mentioned two teenage boys with an older girl who ironically matched your description....care to explain?"

Yelena looked over at Derek, stress evident on her face, "Yeah I was at the club, I saw them and then left with Josh? Why are they ok? What happened?"

It surprised Derek how quickly the lie slipped from her lips and he couldn't tell if he was impressed by her or unnerved about how easy it was for her to lie.

"Josh?" Yelena could feel her dad frowning through the phone, "Yeah they're fine."

"Yeah, you remember Josh? He's back in town for the weekend, just broke up with his boyfriend."

The sheriff nodded on the other side of the phone not quite believing his daughter but accepting her answer.
"You home tonight?"

Yelena glanced over at Derek and saw him staring at her intently, "Actually I think I'm gonna spend the weekend with Josh."

"Sure." He answered, "I gotta get back to work."

"Ok." She murmured before hanging up, she threw her phone onto the dashboard and curled up in her seat.

Derek bit his lip wanting to help her somehow

"What do you want to do?" Derek asked as he watched her exhausted expression "What can I do?"

Yelena sighed and looked over at him, their eyes not able to look away from each other, "I want you to drive, I just want to drive and not come back."

Derek smiled to himself "You want us to run away from our problems." He teased.

"No, I want you, to drive us away." Derek let out a laugh as she smiled "I just want to go to a place where my annoying boss can't get hold of me, where my sort of brother isn't a werewolf, where there are no kanimas and hunters after us, where my dad's career isn't at risk because of all of the things previously stated." She sighed "just drive me there."

Derek ran his fingers through her hair and nodded "I can do that for you."

Derek had driven them to the edge of Beacon Hills where they parked up and climbed onto the bed of the truck and watched the sun slowly begin to rise, he took his jacket off and wrapped it around Yelena to keep her warm.

"We should bring blankets next time." She murmured as she buried her head into his chest.

"We will." He ran his fingers through her hair and looked down at her, "what are you thinking about?"

Yelena hummed tiredly in response and looked up at him, "Don't judge."

Derek raised his eyebrow at her, "I won't."

"Ice cream."

"Ice cream?"

"Yes, Ice cream. I could really go for some ice cream right now."

Derek thought for a moment before shrugging, "We could get ice cream. I know a cool Dairy Queen near Beacon Hills."

Yelena sat up and smirked, "Derek Hale knows a "cool Dairy Queen?"

He rolled his eyes smiling, "Shut up," he laughed, "If you must know I used to take my little sister there."

As soon as he said it he stiffened, he shared something that was too deep for him and it made him tense. Yelena picked up on it and instead of making him talk about she carried on her original conversation as she playfully nudged him.

"Oh god, I bet your favorite ice cream is something so basic like cookie dough."

Derek's forehead creased, making him look mildly offended, "what's wrong with cookie dough?"

Yelena sat up straight and faced him, "Nothing but I'd rather eat the actual cookie dough than have it as ice cream."

"Hmm." Derek murmured somewhat agreeing with her, "What about you?"

Yelena smiled proudly, "mint choc chip."

Derek laughed, "How old are you eight?"

Yelena's eyes widened insulted, "Excuse me! Mint choc chip is a beautiful classic." She told him whilst he pulled her into his lap, "You don't know anything about it, cookie dough ice cream man." Yelena huffed.

"Do you want ice cream or not?"

Yelena pouted, "Yeah."

"Come on then." He told her as he helped her down off the bed of the truck and got back inside the car.

Once again Derek had taken it upon himself to drive, pulling away from their spot he began to speak up, "By the way it's a rocky road."

"What?" Yelena frowned.

"My favorite ice cream flavor, it's rocky road."

"No" Yelena gasped making Derek laugh as they headed to the ice cream shop.

A/n - Ok, two things 1. I'm sorry this chapter was short but had a tiny bit of writers block 🙈 and 2. My favourite ice cream flavour is cookie dough dude!! Just thought I'd share 😋😊