CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE - THE AWAKENING

Ahmad

I didn't move. I couldn't move at all. I was paralyzed with fear.

Slowly, she closed her eyes and opened them, and then closed them again. I knew she was telling me to close my eyes. I did, and then I heard the wrestling of skin over the hissing sound of the serpent and my curiosity got the better of me. I opened my eyes.

The flash of white teeth in the dark let me know she was smiling. How could she... where was the...

"If Mama can see me now" she said solemnly, "She will give me a big bowl of Amala and ewedu." She boasted. Almost immediately, her tone switched from excitement to sadness.

"She like snake soup very well."

I swallowed hard and finally allowed my voice to ask.

"Where is it?" I asked slowly, barely audibly.

"I keep it head under me." She replied.

Under her? Did she mean she was sitting on it? I wanted to ask her to explain what she meant, but then we heard voices above us.

"Did you find him?"

"No!"

There was an exasperated sigh of frustration and then, accompanied by a heavy slap!

"How could you let him escape!" The one who seemed to be the Boss thundered.

I looked from above our heads to my friend who had a finger to my lips. As though I needed to be told to be quiet.

"I am sorry Sir! We cannot explain it either. One minute he was there and the next, he just... vanished!"

"Nonsense! How can an 11-year-old kid vanish before all your dumb adult eyes!" he yelled again.

"Split the useless balls you call a team. Scout the entire area and report back in a few minutes!"

Then I heard the sound of retreating footsteps rushing to do their Boss' bidding.

With my heart racing in my chest, I recalled how I had gotten here. Who I was and who the girl that had her hand over my mouth and a snake under her was. It was all clear.

"Useless bunch!" The one who seemed to be the Boss spat. Because I was looking up, the thick slimy liquid dropped right on my face. Yes! If he only looked down for a second, he would see us. But he didn't and he started to pace, moving slightly away from us as he cursed!

I brought my hand to wipe out his smelly saliva which was already finding its way to my mouth. Then I heard his phone buzz.

"Damn it! Damn it! Damn it!" he cursed profusely as he stomped his feet. "Hello Rogue!" he said, clearly to the person on the other side. "Yes. We have the merchandise."

"I gave you my word, did I not?"

"Of course, it's a rare type. You will be pleased."

"Did you put the money where it should be? Cash?"

"Good"

"Of course, I do not know why you worry! Have I ever failed in my promise to deliver?"

"Good!"

I was clearly the merchandise. Well, me and the girl, should we be caught? I made a mental note to ask her about her name once we are out of danger.

"Damn those useless bunches!" He cursed again, stomping his foot on the ground and sending some sand down our pit and into our faces.

Just then, the retreated footsteps returned.

"Did you find him?"

"N...n... no s!"