CHAPTER SEVEN - A NEW FAMILY

Ahmad

I watched Mom hand Amanah something in a box. Amanah's eyes glowed with excitement as she hugged Mom. Since Mom had met her a week ago, she had been in more hurry than myself to marry Amanah. It was a sight to behold. Like her son, Mom had fallen for Amanah at first sight.

Mom called Amanah her, her first daughter and even told Sumayyah to learn a thing or two from her.

Not that I had ever doubted this would be the end result anyways. It was something about Amanah. She just commanded to be loved wherever she went and that it was I who got this trophy, was more than I could ever asked for.

Mom whispered something to Amanah and they both glanced at me. She did what she knew to do so beautifully well, my bew wife blushed.

Yes. Despite everyone's disapproval and attempt at convincing Mom to have our wedding shifted for another Month, Mom got her way with making me pay Amanah's Sadaq and getting the consent of the families. It was like s magnetic pull. The moment Mom saw Amanah, she fell in love with her.

"I do not care when you guys decide to do the walimah," Mom's resounding voice echoed in my head. "I am bringing Amanah home next week In shaa Allah. You had all better been ready."

"And I wonder what would have happened if you had approved of her from the very beginning" Dad's snide remarks did not get to Mom. She had shot him dagger glares before quickly calling Umm Ramlah and telling her she was paying her a visit and that they had a wedding to plan.

True to her words, Umm Ramlah had visited us the following day and asked me when we were going to bring Amanah home.

Not that anyone could have been able to change Mom's mind, but with Umm Ramlah on her side, they were a formidable force. Of course, the biggest beneficiary from all of these was me. So for a short-lived moment, I was elated. Until I remembered Amanah. Just a week ago, she had complained about not knowing me much and wanting some time for that, and then, the week after that, we were to be married?

I did not want her angry with me again. Or Misunderstanding me. Though a selfish side of me, the one that wanted her as my wife ASAP Did not care, I shuddered at the thoughts of her being angry with me again. So, I had called her immediately to inform her of the development. To my surprise, she had asked if I was ok with it. If I was ok with making her as my wife earlier than expected? It was my life long aspiration.

Then we agreed that I pay the sadaq while she stayed back with her Mom and completed her three Months Internship, get her promotion and then our marriage will be publicized. Amanah did not want people to think it was all my doing that she was where she was today.

After our last argument, I understood Amanah better. She was an intelligent woman and she was proud of her achievements. She was not used to relying on anyone for her needs. Though that did not sit well with me, I was ready to be patient and teach her, to rely on me alone after Allah.

Now she was my wife and I could look at her. Say what I wanted to her without the gnawing feeling of guilt of engaging in haram. For all intent and purposes, Amanah Sa'eed was halal for me.

I watched as Mom walked away from Amanah and knew it was my chance. I did not hesitate. But neither did my wife. Amanah was walking towards me as well and we met mid-way.

We were silent for a while. With me staring at the top of her head and she, the floor. Her hijab was going to get rumpled from her insistent clinging. She was a bundle of contradictions I was not in a hurry to unravel. One minute, she was all wordy, and the next, she was all reserved. She was intriguing.

"So..." We said in unison.

"You can go first." I said.

***