CHAPTER ONE - WHAT I WANT, I GO AFTER

Amanah.

My bedside alarm rang immediately bringing me to my feet. It was 4:00am "AlhamduliLLaahi ladhi ahyana ba'ada ma a ma'atana wa illayhi nushur." I made my waking up adkaar. Quickly, I dashed into the bathroom to brush my teeth and make wudu'.

After tahajjud, I made my Istikharah again on the job interview with Amjad Solicitors Legal Practice. It was one of the top law firms in Nigeria. Ranking 1st tier in almost all fields. It was my dream job. Allah knows how much it would be convenient working with Amjad Solicitors. The law firm had eleven branches with it's headquarters in Abuja, a branch in Lagos, four branches in other parts of the South and six in other parts of the North. It was an Islamically oriented Law firm. I mean the only one of it's kind in Nigeria. The female Lawyers were allowed to go in their hijabs, and abayas at worst.

I knew I was qualified. More than qualified to be employed at the law firm and it wasn't that I was blowing my own trumpet. I have had great experiences from volunteer works, internships and pupilages. My CV was rich! But Nigeria has never been one to accept based on mere merit lest, three years post call and I was still unable to find an appropriate job. I was also aware that there were lots of people with better qualifications than myself. Hence, I have long learnt to leave everything to The One Who Created Me. If I was patient, I know I would get what I wanted, In Shaa Allah.

After fajr and morning adhkaar, I took a shower and made breakfast. Sophia opened the door to the kitchen. "Assalaam'alaykum Amanah." She greeted while suppressing a yawn.

"Wa'alaykumussalaam wa Rahma dear. Hurry up and pray and come have breakfast. Is Mom awake?" She nodded as she disappeared out the door.

After putting the water to boil, I went to mom's room and tapped on the door. "Assalaam'alaykum Mom." The response came and I went in. Mom was making her morning adhkaar. I gave her a kiss on the forehead.

"Are you ready?" She asked, her concerned look unarming me.

I shook my head in earnest. She took my hand in hers. "I know the daughter I raised And it is enough that you always do your best. With Allah as our Aid, you will never be disappointed. Now hurry up and get dressed while I pack the snacks I made last night. You must not be late for your train."

By breakfast, it was already 6:00am leaving me with just forty minutes until my train from Kaduna departs, With my interview scheduled for 10:30am and my below basic knowledge of Abuja, I had better not be late.

I rushed through my meal and was rushing out the door when Mom called. "Amanah. Don't forget anything. If it is too late to return today, just spend the night at Umm Hanifa's. I will send her contact to you." She reminded.

"Ok. Mom. Bye. Fee AmaniLlah." And I was out. My back-pack was not exactly light. Mom had made certain to load it up with small chops.

Luckily, the Train Station was not too far from my home and I got a keke napep quite fast.

When I arrived, passengers had already started to board my Coach. I presented my ticket at lobby and headed to my seat In the Coach. Seat 103 was right at the window. I loved the window side the most and so had clicked one.

An elderly man in his late 40s with a little 3-years old boy were my seat mates. The man had arrived earlier and was just surfing through his phone while the boy watched 'Wheels On The Bus' on his tablet.

"Assalaam'alaykum Baba." I greeted. He smiled briefly at me in response and continued scrolling through his phone. Oh well. This was going to be a strictly, 'mind-your-business-' trip. I thought sarcastically just as I heard the conductor say it was time to take off. I made my adhkaar for journey and again made my Istikharah for this Job. Sophie always said I abused Istikharah a lot. "It is almost as though you do not trust the one you made before Amanah. Ask Allah once and trust Him." I could literally hear my sister's voice in my head. But then, I do not care. All I know is that the du'a of a wayfarer is never rejected. So, it was a rare opportunity that I never let go to waste.