Chapter 10: Guess How Much I Love You

Start from the beginning

He didn't want to leave her all alone but he had to pick up the kids. Sam has settled in their bed, exhausted from the emotional toil of that afternoon. He sighs sadly at how fast things had been shaken by reality they were trying to confront slowly. He would've preferred it if she went with him but it would've been torturous to put on a face for the kids. They are a united front and sometimes, that means taking one for the team.

"Hi daddy," Charlie greets him as he helps him up the car. "Whewe isth mommy?" the boy asks and the question stings.

Clara lifts her eyes at him, curious as well why their mother isn't around.

Ian chuckles nervously while fastening Charles' car seat as he grapples for the right words. "Mommy is tired so she's at home napping."

His answer seems to appease the two for the moment.

"We should buy mom her favorite ice cream," Clara suggests and since nothing could possibly make things easier for the moment, the sweet confection is their only resort.

When they get home, the kids hurry off the car and make a race to the master's bedroom where Sam truly was supposed to be napping. Somewhere between the tears and the unexpected emotional barrage of that afternoon, she fell asleep. She wakes when she feels the gentle shaking courtesy of the kids and she smiles then, not forced, really smiles.

"Hi sweethearts," she greets them with a hoarse voice, pulling away from the mattress to haul the two into her arms. "How was school?"

"Gweat! I colowed!"

"We studied fractions today, mom. Dad said he'll teach me some shortcuts."

Lea chuckles softly and plants a kiss on each kid's forehead. "Sounds like you had a great time."

The two nod and continue to regale Sam about school until they are interrupted by a knock from the door. They look up and see Eric carrying a tray with ice cream.

"Look what we have!"

The little ones cheer.

"Mommy! We bought you ice cweam!"

Clara nods and adds, "Daddy said you are tired so we thought ice cream would give you a boost."

Sam chuckles then, a sound that translates to relief for Eric. "Thank you, babies," she mumbles with gigil before pinching the little ones' cheeks.

"Thank Daddy too," Clara interjects with a stern look that mirrors that of Sam, "He paid for it."

Sam shakes her head and reaches out for Eric who leans in for a chaste kiss that elicits a series of eww and gross. "Thank you, daddy," Sam whispers and plants another kiss on the tip of Eric's nose before pulling away. "Okay!" she grunts and repositions herself on the bed comfortably, "let's eat ice cream!"

On a normal day, they would not give the two sweets before dinner because it ruins their appetite but today is not a normal day, and ice cream seems to be a welcome exception.

Later that night, when dinner is over, homeworks are done, the sugar high has crashed, and the kids are tucked in, Eric slides into the bed he shares with Sam and pulls her to him. She melts in his embrace, she lays her head against his chest and rests her arm across his torso. He begins to draw invisible figures against her back, a gesture which is comforting to her.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Eric whispers with the intention of letting her know that she could decline but if she so wants, she has someone to talk to.

She heaves a deep sigh and tightens her embrace of him. "I don't want to but if I don't, I fear I'm going to explode."

Softly, he whispers, "What's going on in that beautiful head, langga?"