Chapter 8: Anne of Green Gables

When Sam was younger, she dreamt of becoming a princess. What child does not? Little Sam loved the idea of being swept off her feet by a charming young prince who will love her forever. Together, they will ride a white horse into the rainbow sunset where they will spend the rest of their lives together in bliss. But life is not a fairytale. There are no happy endings, she isn’t sure she even wants an ending at all.

And yet, she found her prince, a man who loves her in ways and means beyond the comprehension of the once little Sam; a prince who looks at her like there is  no wonder in the world greater than her; a prince who, instead of riding a white horse to get to her, drives a sleek black car.

He steps out of the driver seat and immediately, shrieks are heard.

“Daddy!”

“Daaaad!”

The little ones have been looking forward to this day since they came home last Monday. Maybe the little ones aren’t the only ones looking forward to this. She gives him a smile which he returns along with a wink to her direction, making her shake her head to hide her blush.

Samantha, ano ba, she reprimands herself at the silly reaction. She watches from the curb as Eric shuffles the kids into the car, buckling Charlie into his booster seat and making sure that Clara is settled in before he closes the door and turns towards her.

“Hi Langga,” he greets with a grin as he makes his to her.

“Hellooo,” she replies in a sing-song, her face reflecting his grin.

He takes a step closer to her with his palms slid in the front pockets of his jeans. “Sooooooo…” he starts.

She crosses her arm against her chest and bites her lower lip to keep herself from chuckling. “Yes, what do you want?” she says playfully.

He clutches his chest with a hand and groans, feigning injury, “Didn’t you miss me? I missed you so much, parang isang taong El Niño ang pakiramdam ko.”

She giggles and shoves his face away teasingly. “You’re kinda OA rin, no? We just saw each other last Sunday.”

A whine escapes Eric and he dons a wounded expression. “Thursday ngayon. It’s been four whole days. Nanghihina na ako.”

“You’re such a dork,” she murmurs, though internally, she’s pleased. My dork. Exaggerating a sigh, she asks, “What do you propose we do about that, then?”

A shit-eating grin spreads across Eric’s face and without preamble, his arms wrap around her waist and he pulls her to him. Her eyes widened as she realised how close  they stand to each other– the tips of their noses touching as he cranes his neck lower so their eyes are level.

“W-what?” she splutters.

Eric chuckles. “What if…”

Swallowing, she encourages him to continue. “Yes?”

“What if you spend the weekend with me and the kids? We could take them to the Milky Way together. I promised Ate I’d let her try their sherbet.”

She hums and surprises him when she plants a kiss on the tip of his nose. “I think I’m one step ahead of you,” she whispers and pushes him away, only for a duffel bag to hit him square in the chest.

Eric watches, a little confused, as Sam makes her way to the passenger’s seat. He blinks twice, his brain essentially fried, unsure if he understands what is happening.

“Are you just going to stand there? I thought we’re going to Milky Way?” Sam calls to him, effectively bringing him back to the reality, one he cannot believe he’s in.