Slowly, tiny raindrops started caressing his skin one after another, coming down from the night sky as Gunhak swore to himself he would have never let his instincts have the best of him again.

***

Hwanwoong walked out of the river in his wolf form, and he quickly shook his body to let his fur dry before shifting back to his human form. He stretched his neck from side to side, taking a deep breath in the clean air the forest offered him: the smell of freedom. He smiled to himself, thinking about what his parents would have thought of him being an omega alone and out in the wild without a pack nor an alfa 'taking care' of him. He looked at the sky, clear, blue, and beautiful as he always did when he found himself thinking about his parents who were maybe watching over him from above.

Hwanwoong had grown up alone with his grandmother since he was little, after their pack had fallen sick because of a deadly virus only the two of them had luckily managed to escape from. His grandmother had been a very good and kind-hearted alfa who had dedicated her life to protect and raise her only nephew as if he were her own child. Hwanwoong still remembered that fateful day she didn't wake up in the morning as the saddest in his entire life: werewolves are able to live longer than human beings, but their time someday eventually came. That was a lesson Hwanwoong unfortunately had learnt since he was very young, finding himself alone, learning to live as an omega on his own.

The werewolf sniffed the air, almost immediately catching the smell of coffee plants situated nearby. He followed the trace, quickly finding a field where he could see tons of them, coloured in red and green like bizarre cherries. He made sure no one was around before snatching a fist of them, and then he ran as far away as he could until he settled behind a tall tree so he could focus on breaking the fruits between his fingers. When he finally had a handful of coffee beans, he put a couple in his mouth to chew on them as he sprinkled the rest on every corner of his body he could reach with his hands.

Yongsun was a very wise alfa and Hwanwoong had never met someone who knew so many things about the world like his grandmother did. She had been the one who had taught him everything about anything along with that simple trick that had allowed Hwanwoong to survive safely until that very moment: coffee beans' smell was able to neutralize and hide anyone's scent, even omegas in heat. What Hwanwoong had just done, was a part of a by now consolidated ritual they had started together, his grandmother and him, in order to protect themselves from unwished alfas' attacks.

Hwanwoong hated alfas and he hated the fact he had born omega even more. He didn't like the feeling of going in heat because it made him feel so powerless and ridiculously needy. He was so much more than that: his dream was to build a pack of his own without the help of any alfa and honour the memory of his family who had always cherished omegas and respected alfas in a fair and equal way. Hwanwoong sighed as soon as he had completed the process: the strong smell of coffee didn't go heavenly with his original jasmine and mint scent, but he had no other choice.

He suddenly heard the sound of an animal running towards his direction at a very fast speed and he stood up, thinking it was just about time for a meal. Hwanwoong was quite a good hunter despite being an omega because his grandmother had taught him how to since he was little. All he had to do, was to wait for his prey to get closer and surprise it last minute.

He didn't have to wait long before feeling the animal getting close enough to launch himself forward and catch it, but what Hwanwoong wasn't expecting was a majestic wolf to jump out of a bush right behind the young deer who had just passed by. Their bodies collided in a loud thump and the wolf ended up pinning the young man on the ground: "What the fuck!?" Hwanwoong exclaimed when he realized in what position they were. The wolf was an alfa, judging by his shimmering red eyes, and his fur was completely and purely black: it definitely looked like a magnificent specimen.