He could have tried and beat them with his own claws, but he had also sworn himself not to fight anyone and to avoid any form of conflict because his top priority wish, along with saving his family from Bang Chan's pack, was to create a pack of his own with his own rules: a pack where everyone would have had the same worth and the same rights regardless of their gender and wolf gender. Youngjo had always hated the strong concept of hierarchy that had been lying behind their nature for centuries and he believed in a change, a change he could have made happen.

That was the reason why he had been searching for an enigma to help him: only such a powerful being would have been able to make even Bang Chan submit. Youngjo was willing to do anything to convince an enigma to come with him and help him. He had been wandering throughout the entire East side of the forest for about six full moons already with this single purpose in mind. He had found nothing but alfas and omegas minding their own business, great flora and fauna, and dangerous situations to run away from until that moment, but he wasn't giving up. Never.

Youngjo's paws effortlessly jumped on the solid ground leaving almost no marks as he was running, his heartbeat going as fast as his frenetic breathing, his red shiny eyes – signalling his wolf gender – were fixed on the deer's tale swaying back and forth as it was trying not to get caught. The alfa focused harder, pushing his legs further to abruptly jump at the deer, finally taking it down.

"What the fuck!?"

Youngjo's eyes widened when he realized that under him there wasn't his prey but a young man as he could faintly hear the sound of the lucky deer's footsteps running as far away as possible.

***

Gunhak stopped walking when he heard the sound of a thunder breaking the silence of the forest by night, the pain coming from the deep cut on his back right leg had become unbearable at that point: to wander under the rain was one of the worst things that could have happened to him. He was unable to hunt in his conditions, therefore he hadn't eaten a thing throughout the entire day. He let out a low, distressed, growl before painfully shifting to his human form, helping himself stand by holding onto the trunk of the nearest tree. He tried to steady his own breath, and he took a moment to check on the wide fresh claw marks Jaeyoung had left on his lower chest in the attempt of tearing his skin apart.

Gunhak couldn't help gathering all his frustration in his fists before throwing a punch against the trunk: it shouldn't have gone that way. He had never wanted that to happen, especially with Jaeyoung.

Jaeyoung's pack had been a good and fair ally for Gunhak's and, until a week before, the thought of killing him would have seemed simply impossible in the alfa's mind. Yet, he had. He had killed him. He had sunk his fangs in the flesh of his neck, breaking through his throat and tasting his warm blood, a moment before he had seen him fall still and silent on the ground.

Suddenly, Gunhak's feelings of guilt and hate towards himself for what he had unconsciously done mixed with how exhausted he was after fighting against Dongheon and Yonghoon's packs for two days in a row came to the surface. He tightened his grip on the bark of the trunk, and he threw up.

Gunhak and Jaeyoung's packs – who had been living side by side since the two were pups – had made an alliance with other two nearby packs in order to defeat their opponents' alfas and expand their territory. Gunhak had always been against the idea but his father, his older brother and the other alfas of their pack were adamant on the matter. They had set an ambush for both packs in the middle of the night, and they had fought for so long he had barely realized it had been two days. If the alfa focused, he could still remember his last thoughts with a lucid mind before he had completely lost control as it had never happened to him, ending up not only hurting, but also killing one of his dearest friends.