Chapter 3

Dust woke up. He wasn't sure where he was or what happened. He slowly sat up. There was a small table next to him. It had a bowl of noodles and a note. The note read: "Eat this when you wake up." Dust looked at the bowl. We couldn't help himself. He felt like he was starving. Within a minute he had devoured the entire bowl of noodles. Soon he felt absolutely terrified. Why did I eat it? What if this was a test? What if it had something in it? What if it was poisoned? Dust started to panic, he shouldn't have eaten it. Dust stood up and looked around the house until he found a bathroom. Dust forced himself to throw up the food he had just eaten. He wasn't supposed to except food from monsters he didn't know. He didn't want to risk getting killed. Dust walked back to the room he woke up in. It looked like a living room. He tried to think back to what happened yesterday, but it was all fuzzy. What happened and how did I end up here? Dust felt nervous. Soon the door handle turned and the door opened. Dust grabbed onto his axe, which was conveniently placed beside him. A black and white skeleton walked through the door. "Oh you're awake. Dream wanted me to come check on you." The skeleton said. Dust backed away and shot a tense glare at him. "Hey, you're okay. I'm not going to hurt you." The skeleton said. The skeleton cautiously walked over to Dust. As he should. "Do you remember me? I'm Cross." He said. Dust remembered that name being used before. Cross sat down on the floor infront of Dust. Dust held on closer to his axe. "I'm not a threat to you." Cross said. Dust narrowed his eye. "Of course you're not a threat. I could kill you in an instant if you tried anything." Dust hissed. He didn't know if that was true, but he had to make it sound true. "I know you could." Cross said. "How are you feeling." Cross asked. "Why do you care." Dust growled. "I'll leave you be now." Cross said, slowly standing up and walking out. Dust sighed. He thankfully managed to scare him away. Dust wasn't fit for a fight at the moment, so his intimidation would have to make up for it.

Cross sighed. It was good that Dust was okay and had eaten, but he was still vert hostile. Cross understood, he knew what it was like to be a Bad Sans, to have to make yourself scary. He knew it would take a while for Dust to trust him. "Cross." Dream said. Cross turned around and greeted his friend. "Hey Dream. Dust is awake and he ate." Cross informed him. "That's good. I was worried he wouldn't eat it." Dream said. "He is still aggressive, but I can understand that." Cross said. Dream nodded. Dream was a very patient monster.

Dust leaned back. He pulled his locket out of his jacket pocket. Now what? Do I try to go back to Nightmare? Do I hide out here? What do I do? Dust was starting to remember what had happened yesterday. He felt anger. Why did Killer want to kill him? Yeah, jealousy kinda made sense, but Killer must be an idiot! Dust still didn't know how he ended up in a house and alive, but that wasn't an issue at the moment. The real issue was figuring out what his next step would be. Suddenly he felt panic. Terror! Shit! He's probably distraught! I promised him that I would be okay. I'm a lier. I'm a damn lier. I wonder what Horror told them. Part of me hopes that he told them I had been killed, but the other part of me wants Terror to know that I'm alive. I wonder how Nightmare feels about this. He just lost two of his followers. He probably doesn't care. Dust sighed and traced the detail that was carved into his axe many years ago. He looked at his locket. It almost looked brand new even though it was almost ten years old. He couldn't bring himself to open it, it was too painful. Dust put his locket back into his pocket. Soon the door opened again. Dream. Dream bowed to Dust as if he was some sort of royalty. Dust just stared at him. Dream took a step towards Dust, and Dust grabbed his axe and held the blade towards Dream. "Take another God damn step. I dare you." Dust hissed. Dust could see the fear flash into Dream's eyes. Dust almost grinned. "I'm not going to hurt you." Dream said. "Why not? I could easily kill everyone in this damned timeline." Dust informed him. Dust could feel Dream's fear. Dream took a step back, Dust still didn't lower his blade. He was waiting for Dream to attack him, but that didn't happen. Dust didn't know why Dream wasn't trying to kill him. This was the perfect opportunity to become the one who slain the multiverse's most feared assassin. Dust would've taken the opportunity if he could. Maybe Dream didn't think he could win. "Scared?" Dust asked. Dream stiffened. Dust knew what Dream saw in him, it was the same as what every monster saw in him. Nightmare. Dream saw Nightmare in him, and not how Nightmare was before, but how he is now. Every monster who saw Dust, saw Nightmare.

Dream was terrified. Dust could easily kill him. Dream could feel the negativity radiating off of him, as if he was Nightmare. Dream never felt this much negativity coming off of Dust before. Dream knew the rumors must be true. Dust is Nightmare's successor.