Chapter 6.1

I waited outside the student council room until the meeting had concluded. The students from Class C and Sakagami-sensei left first, with Sudou following a little while later. He wore a bright, cheerful expression.

"Looks like it went well," I said.

"Man, I don't understand what happened, but Horikita did something for me. Right?"

I nodded.

"I knew it. I knew she'd come through for my sake. Heh heh heh." He looked incredibly happy. "Well, I gotta head to my club. We should have a party tonight."

"Yeah."

The next people to exit were the student council president and Secretary Tachibana.

Excellent work." I thought we'd just exchange a light greeting, but the president stopped in his tracks to address me. "Komiya and Kondo are expelled. Ishizaki will face a week worth of suspension. The Class C students were defeated, you classmate won."

"Is that so?" I said. "Well, I guess miracles do happen."

Horikita's brother remained still and looked me in the eyes. I couldn't tell what he was thinking.

"I suppose if Class C had 2 students expelled and one suspended, then talk would spread quite naturally. If Sudou or Sakura weren't the liars, then Class C was."

"Your little sister handled things well. I didn't do anything."

"If that's your answer, then I'm impressed. Even though it's a simple story." The unflappable Secretary Tachibana clapped her hands.

Tachibana. Do you still have one seat open for secretary?"

"Yes. A first-year Class A student applied the other day but was rejected after the first interview."

"Ayanokouji. If you wanted it, I would appoint you to the position."

 I was surprised, but Secretary Tachibana appeared even more shocked than me. "S-student council president... Do you really mean that? This is the second-"

"Do you disapprove?" 

"N-no. If you say so, I have no objections. But..."

"Nah, I hate troublesome stuff. Besides, being in the student council is no joke. I want to lead an ordinary student life at this school," I replied.

Secretary Tachibana was even more shocked by my response.

"Huh? Are you refusing an invitation from the student council president?!"

"Well, I'd just never do anything that I'm not interested in..."

I didn't do what I didn't want to do. Besides, there was no reason to invite me onto the student council in the first place.

"Let's go, Tachibana." 

"Y-yes."

As they were leaving, the president said these words.

"You were the second person to reject the offer. I offered to your friend of yours, the boy who was present yesterday in the meeting. Unfortunately, he said no. The offer is still available."

A short time later, Horikita and Chabashira-sensei appeared. Chabashira- sensei just gave me a slight glance, leaving without saying anything in particular.

"Yo." I raised my hand as I greeted Horikita but was met with an intense glare the likes of which I'd never seen from her before. She quickly returned to her neutral expression, though.