Chapter 3.1

CLASS became temporarily excited by that fairy tale, but we were soon pulled back to reality. After school we resumed the search for a witness. Me and Ayanokouji hung behind Kushida, Ike, and the others, trailing them like a ghosts. I was impressed, surprised, bamboozled, and in awe of their natural conversation skills. It was clear as day that I, someone who couldn't even converse with most of my fellow classmates, was not well suited to this task. How could they talk with people they'd never met before and behave like old friends? Monsters. Absolute psychopaths. 

In this investigation, we sought not just names, but also contact information. Perhaps they felt compelled to give Kushida their information because of her personality. What a wonderful talent...

Though Kushida and the others spent a good amount of time going to the second-year classrooms and talking to upperclassmen, they didn't turn up any good leads. As time passed, the number of students who remained after class was dwindling. With a lack of new students to speak with, we decided to stop our investigation for the day.

"Looks like we didn't have any luck today, either."

Everyone went back to Ayanokouji's room to reevaluate our strategy. Sudou came by shortly afterward and joined our discussion.

"What happened today? Did you make any progress?" he asked. 

"None at all. Sudou, are you sure there was a witness?"

I understood Ike's doubts. Even though the school had said that's what happened, there wasn't any new information.

"Huh? I never said there was someone there. I said that it felt like someone was there."

"Huh. Is that so?"

"It's certainly true that Sudou-kun didn't say he saw anyone. He said that he had a feeling that someone was there."

"Maybe Sudou was hallucinating? He must be taking some pretty potent drugs or something."

Dude, that was going a bit too far. Sudou put Ike into a headlock.

"Gyahh! I give, I give!" Ike cried.

While the two of them messed around, Kushida and Yamauchi were wracking their brains. After discussing the matter for about 10 minutes, Kushida spoke up.

"We might want to change our methods a little. For example, let's look for someone who might have found a witness."

"Look for someone who found a witness? I don't get what you mean."

"Are you going to look for the people who went to the special building on the day of the incident?"

"Yeah. What do you think?"

That wasn't a bad idea. Not many students went to the special building, but the entrance was well within eyeshot. In other words, if someone testified to seeing another person enter the special building, we'd be much closer to finding the witness. That's what their plan was. Man, why did the anime skip so much? I feel useless here.

"That sounds great! Let's start asking right away."

I noticed then that the person of interest, Sudou, was completely engrossed in some kind of digital basketball game on his phone. It was completely draining his battery. I think the game was called Generation of Miracles or something. I know that the games in the Classroom of the Elite world is different, but what type of name is that? After he won the match, Sudou struck a victory pose.

Even though Sudou couldn't really help, Ike and Yamauchi still appeared disgruntled at the sight of him. However, they concealed their dissatisfaction, probably because they were scared of Sudou's counterattack. They both chose to ignore him instead.