Chapter 19

Dollie wasn't sure how it had happened. Violet had come, and then... she'd whispered, in Danny's ears:

"Would your boss let you off, if you stayed away for some time in a hotel?" the hunger in her for his body almost cosmic in the instance of asking the question, as if she'd stolen Violet's spirit of recklessness, at seeing her.

And then he'd said yes, or something like it, and she'd let Violet watch her babies.

Then walking, getting a taxi, chattering around the act that was going to happen, the conversation stilted, with Danny attempting a kiss in the taxi and being greeted back with her answer, her eyes closed until the taxi driver presumably looked at them in his rear view mirror, if he hadn't already, and coughing, telling them, "We're here," and again, she going to pay, and he, paying instead.

She didn't think of the fact of it- the fact that he couldn't afford the Ritz Carlton, and when they were walking to the desk, insisting, with a glance like she'd be prompted to anger if he refused, and then they'd have to... she didn't know. Maybe find an alley, a public restroom: by the time they'd arrived her mind had become the point of a pin, with the word 'SEX' in capital letters on a note pinned through it.

He let her pay, knowing the truth, that it was easier to relent and have his pleasure out of a wealthy woman's pocket.

He insisted he shower when they got into the hotel room, and she undressed and planned to wait for him, pleasuring herself in anticipation, but after a few minutes, going to the bathroom door, hearing the water, and knocking.

"Let me in!" she half-shouted, and he came to the door naked as she was naked and then they went into the shower together and there were a few minutes of washing and eying and grinning before the act began under the steamy heat and then ended under it, she collapsing on top of him, so that they rested on the shower floor. Cleaner than they began.

That was two hours ago. They'd done it three times since, with an extra shower and Dollie tilted her head back, holding his hand, too tired to even roll out of the semen, and so Danny lovingly pulled her on top of his body.

"You're lovely," he said, and he was about as relaxed as a man could get. The first two times, the tension, Dollie felt, and then came the calibration, the talking and breathing between each act, telling each other who they were, a lot of the tension removed, going to the minibar. "I have to say," he said, "I didn't expect this, this morning. It must be the humility in me."

Dollie was too tired to laugh.

His hands interlocked with hers.

"I had a..." Dollie fell asleep.