Chapter 8

"Ok, not to ask more stupid questions or anything but why do we need all these groceries?"

"Supplies, or for revenge when we come across it, and because you love me."

"Haha Margo, I do not love you."

"Yes you do. Admit it you do!" She pointed her finger at me.

"I don't, I like you as a friend. I don't love you and I never have." I laughed because we both knew I was lying, at least about the second part.

"Ok well if I would've known I was taking a trip with a liar, I wouldn't have invited you." She folded her arms and turned away.

"I don't care what you say. I'm not a liar." I smiled at the road.

"Yes, you are."

"No, I'm not."

"Yes, you are!"

"Sto-op!"

"YESYESYESYES!"

"Margo, you're acting like a child."

"Fine, you can win." the car went dead silent.

Neither of us talked for a little bit. We both just kinda stared out our windows. I thought for a moment, maybe I could be funny... make her laugh, embarrass her.

As soon as I thought it, I knew it was a bad idea. Embarrassing Margo was something that wouldn't go over well. Margo didn't take embarrassment well. Luckily I hadn't said anything yet. I kept thinking that if I might've said something wrong I would have had to leave her stranded on the side of the road. But, then she would get revenge on me. Margo's revenge plots were very good, but not for the people on the other end getting pranked. I still debated in my head. It had been like, twenty minutes of silence. I thought that maybe I should say something but I didn't want to make it awkward. I decided my best option was to keep my mouth shut. It was the smartest thing to do. I could tell Margo was bored because she kept fogging up the window and drawing faces in the fog. It made me laugh in the inside, but not on the outside. I wasn't about to break the silent tradition that had been going for almost an hour. She finally stopped drawing faces and I wondered if at this point she had just fallen asleep. But she hadn't because after a few moments, I heard her texting. I sighed, but not loud enough to tell that it was just a breath. I was reaching my breaking point. I needed to say something. And the first words that came out were this.

"Fine. I admit it. I love you Margo Roth Spiegelman. I'm not ashamed of it," she looked at me, I made it as if I was honestly giving a cheesy live confession. "You know what, I'll tell the world." She started laughing. Even though the road was pretty much empty, I rolled all the windows down and shouted, "IM IN LOVE WITH A GIRL NAMED MARGO ROTH SPIEGELMAN." Margo and I laughed. I hoped she wouldn't get the wrong idea after last night.

But then she said something I wasn't expecting.

"I love you too, Quentin Jacobsen."