Chapter 3

We walked across the campus grounds towards my minivan. I walked a few paces ahead of her, I had a good view of her through my  peripheral vision. We had escaped through my window.

The second we sat down into the seats of the car, she handed me a list.

"What's this?" I asked, taking a the list from her hands. It was an odd compilation of things for anyone that wasn't Margo.

"Everything we need to get at the store." I gave her a confused look, "We're getting revenge on Carl." She said, acting like I should've read her mind.

I gave her another questioning look, "Excuse me, who?"

"My ex boyfriend who abused me. . . Remember?" She looked at me, still acting like I had an inkling of what she was talking about even though I was completely lost.

For fear of making her more angry, I responded with: "Right." I said this slowly before looking at the list.

Vaseline, blue spray paint, and raw chicken: the usual.

Margo instructed me to run into the Publix grocery store by myself, just in case someone she knew was there.

I ran in and quickly picked up everything, this time no weird looks from the lady at the counter.

When I came out from Publix, Margo honked the horn several times and yelled:

"Can you walk any slower Grandma!" I opened the front door, gave her a look.

"Margo, that was offensive to old people!"
I sat down in the drivers seat and handed her the grocery bag and she set it on the ground by her feet. Then we looked at each other and started laughing our heads off, I didn't know why, what I said wasn't even funny.

We drove silently, with soft music from the radio playing in the background.

When we arrived at Carl's house, all the lights were out.

He lived in a dingy neighborhood, and I wondered for a moment why Margo would pick this guy for cash and not some rich entrepreneur looking for a mistress. We came up to the front porch and I tried the door, but it was locked. I turned to look at her and she was holding a small, shiny object up for me to see.

"Here, I have a key." Margo took a step forward and unlocked the door.

The place was a complete and utter mess, beer cans and bottles scattered the floor and table. The floor was without mess and random piles of trash lay all around the room.

"Geez, this place is a dump," I commented.

She turned her head around to look at me, "Tell me about it." Margo snuck around to his bedroom, I followed.

"Here," she said handing the package of raw chicken, "take this out of the package and place it under his pillow. Then go wash your hands. I have more things planned. The bathroom is around the corner."

I nodded my head and Margo snuck out of the room. I unwrapped he chicken and slid it under Carl's pillow. I then followed Margo's direction to the bathroom, which reeked. It smelled like crap and marijuana. The guy probably had so much money because he was dealing drugs. Did Margo know this? She had to have. I tried to push the images of Carl putting Margo up to drug runs out of my head and continued washing my hands.

After I had done exactly as Margo instructed, I made my way out of the bathroom and out into the barely-a-living living room. I looked at her hand and she held an opened bottle of spray paint and I averted my eyes to the ceiling. A bright blue "M" decorated the ceiling, I smiled to myself. Suddenly, something gloopy was placed in my hands and I looked back down to realize that Margo had handed me a big glob of Vaseline.

"Put this on every doorknob in the house. Then put it on the full beer bottles outside." We nodded to each other and then went out separate ways.

I slipped out to the back, figuring that I'd let Margo take care of the door knobs. I placed a little bit of Vaseline on each bottle, just enough so that the bottle wouldn't stay gripped in your hand for more than three seconds. A drunk, angry Carl and broken glass would not be a good mix.

As I started to sneak back in the house, I heard a car door slam shut. What at first was a sneak became a scamper.

"Margo!" I whispered-yelled running back into the house, "He's back, we have to leave. NOW!" I grabbed her arm and we raced out the door.

She looked back behind her as I dragged her along. She let go of my arm to get in the passenger side. Once we were both seated she looked at me, "Hit it!" She yelled and I pulled out and drove off.