Chapter Eighteen

Jin rolled his eyes when his idiot of a boyfriend stumbled through the doorframe, squawking as he desperately tried to regain his footing before he tumbled into the older boy.

"One day, you are going to hurt yourself. I don't understand how you can always be this clumsy." The dark-haired boy scathed, burying his gloved hands in his pockets to keep them warm.

The ends of his fingers were always sensitive to the cold, but as he grew older, it was starting to get worse-the long-lasting effects of all the severe breaks and fractures.

His hands ached when it started getting chilly, they throbbed when it rained, and more recently, Jin couldn't stop the icy sensation from spreading across his skin.

Namjoon took the harshly worded remark without offence, approaching his boyfriend with his usual soft look and stopping, so there was a small space between them.

"Wow, you are so grouchy today." He replied, noticing how Jin's eyes darted away the second he was in view, keeping them fixed on the snow-covered ground and away from the sandy-haired boy.

Joon was right.

Jin had been testy all morning and was showing no signs of lightning up.

When Namjoon arrived to collect the older boy and escort him on their usual walk to college, he was nowhere near prepared for the day, which was somewhat unusual.

The elder prided himself on getting everything ready and triple checking that his bag was packed perfectly.

He called it pride, but it was more of an anxiety thing. Jin liked to have all the things he needed so he didn't have to ask his lecturers or other students to borrow equipment. Without having Namjoon by his side in all his classes, interacting with strangers was intimidating.

The dark-haired boy wasn't even dressed when the younger boy walked into the bedroom, leaving a bemused-looking Yoongi trying to get himself fixed up for his first day back at school after the suspension. He had tried to talk to the dark-haired boy and help him out of whatever was bothering him, but Jin felt belligerently ignorant.

It wasn't his fault, and he didn't mean it; his thoughts were scattered, and sometimes that presented as anxiety, depression and tearfulness, and other times, blatant combativeness.

Jin snipped at the younger boys as he packed up and then changed his clothes in the bathroom, ignoring the fact he could hear his boyfriend apologising for his poor attitude.

He picked at how the sandy-haired boy put things in his backpack incorrectly and then grumbled his way down the stairs and out of the house, hardly saying a word to either parent as he left.

Namjoon took everything in his stride as always, completely ignoring his boyfriend's frosty behaviour and picturing the happy, smiley boy fighting to get out. That boy was inside, buried under stress, and he was going to pull him out.

"Are you going to tell me what's wrong?" The younger boy quizzically asked, slowly moving towards the elder's coat and zipping it up a little further, so he didn't get cold. "Or are we going to pretend this isn't happening?"

Shit.

Jin hated when the sandy-haired boy called him out for being a brat.

It irritated him because the reality was he should be a lot nicer to his boyfriend. It wasn't Namjoon's fault he was feeling shitty.

He sighed when the younger boy lifted his hands, cautiously bringing them to the elder's head at a steady pace to fix the beanie covering his ears.

"I'm sorry," Jin mumbled, the shame and guilt of being so cold and cruel towards both his boyfriend and foster brother suddenly becoming intensely apparent.