Chapter Three

Jin worshipped Mr Kim.

It was evident when the tall, dark-haired man announced his arrival that evening.

The older boy, who until now had been the picture of maturity and tranquillity, lit up at the sound of the voice, pausing the game he and Yoongi were playing to get up and dart to the door like a child.

He had the biggest smile on his face as he gave a passing glance to the blonde boy, encouraging him to follow as he trampled down the stairs, like a wild animal, barely making it without falling over.

"Dad!" Jin yelled, skidding to a halt in the kitchen doorway when his eyes met Mr Kim's.

It seemed absurd to see a nineteen-year-old, almost six-foot young man running to see the man he called his father.

He didn't approach the man, keeping an arm's distance between them as he grinned, but he was so happy. For Yoongi, it was the first concrete sign of trauma in the older boy.

Even though he didn't say or do beyond showing interest in his foster father's arrival, his toddler-like nature revealed his dependency on the adults. He was almost itching to throw himself at Mr Kim in a hug, but, of course, he never would.

He couldn't stop smiling.

"Hi bud, how are you?" The man asked, breaking into a smile as he placed his bag on the table.

It was always the same. Jin always sprinted to see his parents when they came through the door after work, ever since he was around thirteen years old.

Despite not being officially adopted after aging out of foster care, the boy who had lived with them for the last nine years considered himself to be their son.

Instead, he changed his name as soon as he was old enough, and the Kims promised never to push him out of their family, so he could live with them as long as he wanted.

And even after all these years and the amount of therapy and care Jin had received, living with the adults was still necessary. He wouldn't cope in the outside world alone.

"I'm good, Dad. Did you get a lot done today?"

It was like listening to a child. The older boy wanted to know everything his father had been up to today, even if it was boring stories about budgets and tax paperwork. He loved listening to Mr Kim.

Yoongi stood in the background as he usually did for a while, keeping his eyes trained on the floor.

He wasn't sure if Jin or Mrs Kim would introduce him or if, like many other times, they would pay no attention to him until he did something wrong. Until he stepped out of line and had to be punished.

"Oh, Dad, this is Yoongi." The older boy said, catching the younger's attention as he turned and pointed.

The blonde froze but then forcibly relaxed, trying not to look overwhelmed or nervous. So he didn't look weak.

Mrs Kim smiled as she watched her son gush about the game they had just been playing and how the new kid didn't stand a chance against him. He wasn't being mean or pig-headed. Teasing was normal for Jin, especially around people he liked, which was a good sign.

It had only been a few hours, but the black-haired boy seemed satisfied with the new addition to their family.

Yoongi hadn't spoken more than a few words throughout the day, but the older boy was relaxed around the younger.

"It's nice to meet you, young man. We're excited to have you with us," Mr Kim said as he pulled off his tie, making no effort to approach the tense-looking blonde. "Are you hungry?"