Chapter Seven

Despite his profound exhaustion and desire to sleep for a week, Yoongi woke the second he heard a voice in the bedroom.

His eyes peeled open and searched the darkness, looking for something or someone who was an immediate threat.

A danger.

Even after a few hours of sleep and time to himself, the blonde was still uncomfortable with what had happened downstairs the night before.

Yoongi was ridiculous for thinking the Kims were going to hurt him.

They were kind, generous people who just wanted to help, but the blonde's brain no longer believed those things. Everyone was a threat.

Unless they had pink hair.

Thinking the voice was little more than his overactive imagination, Yoongi closed his eyes again, hoping to get a few more hours of sleep before he had to get up for school in the morning. Then he heard it again, this time recognising the cool, velvety tone of reassurance.

The teenager sat up and reached for the small bedside light, flicking it on as he looked toward Jin's bed.

Immediately, he encountered the sight of a large sandy-haired boy who smiled almost apologetically.

Kim Namjoon.

The boy hadn't meant to wake the other resident sleeping in the room and tried to keep quiet, but it was difficult when Jin was like this.

Nearly right away, Yoongi understood why the other boy had spoken and disturbed his rest.

It seemed odd for the two boys lay in bed together, seeing as nobody had been within an arm's length of Jin's personal space in the last few days.

But there he was. The eldest lay by his boyfriend's side, an arm draped over his chest and hanging over the edge of the bed, head resting against his shoulder.

Namjoon had one arm around the older boy's back, placed on his shoulder and the other hand on his own stomach.

Yoongi noticed how the sandy-haired boy kept his fingers curled in loose fists, and he'd done that from the moment he arrived earlier that evening. He never placed an open hand on his boyfriend and was always slow and patient with his movements, keeping Jin's fragile state in mind.

That was when the blonde saw the elder flinch.

His eyes were closed while he slept, but the boy still wrenched aggressively, his fingers grabbing at Namjoon's t-shirt as he cried out.

"Shh, shh," Namjoon whispered, his arm tightening around the elder, his free hand touching the fingers clinging to him. "You're okay."

The dark-haired boy shuffled, his face screwing up when he whimpered, dragging the younger boy's shirt up as he fought with his dreams.

Yoongi's stomach twisted at the sounds coming from the other side of the room.

He sounded scared and vulnerable. Like the elder was reliving the heartbreak of his tumultuous childhood.

The blonde hated those noises. Over the years, across the homes and families he lived with, little noises like that were a regular occurrence.

They would never leave him.

Yoongi pushed himself into a seated position, dragging the duvet with him, so it covered his legs.

"Sorry I woke you," Namjoon glanced towards Yoongi but diverted back to his boyfriend, who gave out a loud whine. "He gets like this sometimes; he struggles with nightmares."