𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟎

𝐩𝐮𝐫𝐩𝐨𝐬𝐞
───  ⋅ ∙ ∘ ☽ ༓ ☾ ∘ ⋅ ⋅  ───

Staring at the bare ceiling, it felt as if my whole world had crumbled before me. My eyes grew heavier, and ached for sleep. But every time I would close my eyes, all I would see is her face. "My baby's right here." My throat closed up, as what felt like glass clawed up my insides. The sun creeped up up window, slowly rising into a new day. I leaned to face the darker side of my room, sheltering myself from the sunrise. I never knew my birth mother, so why is this vision of her holding on to me refusing to let go. I bundled a fistful of my comforter in my hands as I tried to fight back the tears. My ears perked up at the sound of my door opening, "Hey, um. Are you awake?" My back still facing the door, I lay there motionless, ignoring Scott whispering to me. As soon as I heard the door close, I let out a shaky breath. I pulled out my hand which hid beneath the covers. My eyes trailed every detail of my hand, remembering her touch. "Take it all." I whispered into the stillness of my room. I focused on my fingertips, a familiar tingly sensation crawling through my skin. A light gasp escaped me as I admired the dim glow radiating from my fingers. An ember glow danced between my fingers, delicately casting it's light on my face.

I sat upright in my bed as a door shut from downstairs, it's vibration shaking the house ever so slightly. Mum's at work and Scott's at school. I stealthily crept out of my bed, diminishing the radiance from my hands. Opening my door, I peered down the hallway, I studied a faint shadow disappearing into the room down the hall. I turned around reaching for the pocket knife, in the pocket of the jacket that hung on the door handle. Flicking it open, I stalked down the hallway pressing my body up to the wall, waiting for the intruder to emerge from the room. Their heartbeat grew closer and closer, and just as they were in the doorframe, I leapt out from the side pinning them to the closest wall knife at their throat. "Hey! It's just me." Isaac exclaimed in defence holding up both his hands. I pulled away as the adrenaline washed off me. I closed the pocketknife, tucking it back into my back pocket. Isaac's eye's scanned over me, "You haven't changed since last night." I looked at him blankly, before turning away and heading off towards my room. His hand reached out grabbing mine, pulling me back to him. "No we are not doing this again." He added sternly, looking down at me. His grip loosened as his hands reached up cupping my face. "Talk to me." He whispered gently, his thumb caressing my cheeks. My lips quivered as I reached up holding his hands for support. I opened my mouth to say something, but it couldn't come out. Words couldn't come out. I fell into Isaac's arms, wrapping my arms around his neck. His hands held me towards him, if it weren't for him, I would've fallen to the floors by now. Tears soaked his shirt, as I lifted my head up from the crook of his neck. "I saw her." I managed to say. Isaac began to study me, trying to piece together the meaning of what I'm saying.
"I saw her Isaac. I saw my mother." I explained my hand covering my mouth holding back the sobs begging to break free. He rested his head on top of mine, stroking my back.

I sat on the couch, downstairs as Isaac was busy in the kitchen. I had told him everything, from meeting Deucalion, Valerie, everything in San Fransisco, up until now. I looked down at my bare arm, feeling a phantom burn of where the brand used to be. Isaac brought a plate of breakfast setting it on the coffee table before me. I stared at the steaming meal, no appetite left in me. "I should've died." I said aloud. I didn't take my eyes off the plate in front of me.
"Col, don't say that." Isaac began.
"No, I should've died that night. With my mother. I even had a second chance, of just letting go. Leaving this cursed world, but I was too stubborn." I confessed.
"Colette, you were given a second chance to live. Live for a purpose." Isaac leaned in kissing me ever so gently. Purpose. What a funny thing that is.

I managed to finally convince Isaac to leave, and now I sat on the edge of my bed. "Purpose." I thought. I got up abruptly, walking towards my mirror. What stared back was a girl, with sunken eyes, pale skin, and a heart full of vengeance. In fury I launched my fist at the mirror, the shards falling onto my floorboards. Stripping from the old clothes that stuck to my body, I pulled over a long sleeve top and new jeans. Tying up my shoes I walked out of my room, the soles of my shoes crunching over the broken mirror. I sped down the stairs, reaching for the door handle, I opened it but stopped in my tracks. Hayley spun around, facing me with a worrisome look on her face. She instantly threw herself at me, hugging me tightly. "I thought I lost you." She gasped. I hugged her back before pulling away. I looked into her glossy eyes, unable to say a word without crying my lungs out.
"Who are we hunting?" Was all she said as she held my hands. I gave a sly smile, as we walked down from the porch and into her car.