𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟖

𝐯𝐢𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬
───  ⋅ ∙ ∘ ☽ ༓ ☾ ∘ ⋅ ⋅  ───

I made my way to a seat on the bus. I skimmed through the messages I had gotten from the rest of the pack. "Ennis is dead." Aiden messaged me. Good, never liked him anyways. I tucked away my phone, resting my head against the window. I felt the seat beside me fill up, "You were right, Hayl's. Wherever I go, it's bound to be some supernatural mission." I admitted turning to face her, only that it wasn't her. I furrowed my brows in frustration, I was too tired to deal with this blonde idiot right now. I stood up to walk past him and find Hayley, but instead he blocked off the exit with his hands. I found Hayley sitting beside Boyd, both of them talking with one another. There goes my excuse to leave. "Sit. I'm not letting you leave." Was he seriously threatening me? I raised an eyebrow at him, and before I could respond coach blew his whistle in my face. "Sit! Down!" I did as I was told, now permanently stuck here for the rest of the drive. "You can be mad at me for hurting Ethan and you can be mad at me for not telling you about the ambush. But don't think for one moment that I'd leave you on your own." A certain stench filled the air, and a pit formed in my stomach, grief, sadness, anger. I faced my body towards Isaac, looking him dead in the eyes, looking for some giveaway for what had happened. "Isaac..." I whispered. A lump grew in my throat, "What happened?" I asked my voice shaky. Isaac blinked away emerging tears. He opened his mouth, but he couldn't even look me in the eyes. "It's Derek, he's...he's dead." Isaac revealed. I was lost for words, the lump in my throat stayed there, restricting any air from coming in or out. My head fell forward, my hands quickly covering my mouth hiding my silent sobs. "It was all my fault. He's dead because of me."  I let the tears continue to fall, not caring who could see or hear me. I felt Isaac's embrace, as he pulled me into his arms, rubbing my shoulders. When I managed to breathe again, I pulled myself away from Isaac, not knowing what to say. "I didn't tell you about the ambush because, I didn't know how to tell you about Derek." I looked over at Isaac, who's eyes had glossed over. I was still lost for words, and so I just laid my head on his shoulders. He's body relaxed beneath my head and we just sat there in each other's comfort.

"The meet will be postponed to tomorrow." An eruption of complaints filled the bus, but quickly it all ceased to silence when coach blew his whistle. Isaac had fallen asleep, and I could feel the exhaustion washing over me too. The bus was heading towards a motel, where we'd all stop for the night. I let out a yawn, ready to dive into the discomfort of the low quality beds and so I decided to simply rest my eyelids for a moment.

Everything stilled, as the darkness enveloped my mind. Everything was calm, and steady. That was until the darkness melted into light, the walls that surrounded me began to dissolve, transforming into what seemed to be a living room. I took in my new surrounding, a toasty fireplace was a lit and the aroma of a pot roast floated in from the kitchen. I walked over to the fireplace, taking in the picture frames which decorated the mantel. I peered in, taking note of the two young girls smiling happily in the frames. Two little red heads, one pale skin and blue eyes and the shorter one with brown eyes and freckles. The sound of footsteps running down the stairs, startled me. "What if they saw me?" I spun around, ready to explain my sudden presence. But the two of them ran straight path me. "Lettie give that back!" One whined, chasing the shorter one around the sofa, who was giggling.
"Sissy, let me play with it for one moment!" The little one begged, the elder sister's anger began to show as she furrowed her eyebrows and pursed her lips. I stood by the fireplace, watching their little fight escalate. "Lettie. I said. Give. It. BACK!" The child screamed furiously, the fire from behind me, grew as if fuelled by her anger. I fell forward in shock, I winced as my arm began to burn. I rolled up my sleeves, my hands uncontrollably shaking from the pain. It was the brand. It glowed a bright orange, identical to the iron stamp. I let out an agonising scream, as the brand continued to burn my flesh.