𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟗

𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐲
───  ⋅ ∙ ∘ ☽ ༓ ☾ ∘ ⋅ ⋅  ───

I drummed my fingers against the steering wheel, waiting impatiently in front of the hospital's entrance. I looked down at my phone, desperate for some update from Ethan. He had taken Danny into the emergency room earlier and called me to come to pick them up. An emerging figure walked out from the hospital, I turned my head in its direction realising it was Scott, and following behind was Ethan. I got out of the car making my way to Ethan's side, "How's Danny?" I asked studying the worrisome look on Ethan's face. "Your mum managed to stabilise him, but he's resting for now." I nodded in relief, I spun toward Scott who was gawking at me with judgment. "What else do I have to do, to prove that I'm not the enemy here?" I questioned, tired of being seen as the villain.
"Nothing has ever been going right since you arrived in Beacon Hills, and it doesn't help that you're friends with the enemy." he retaliated, guilt washed over my face at his remark which held some truth.
"I won't hurt them, I won't hurt anyone Scott. You know that?" I ensured taking a step towards my brother.
"No, I don't know that. Why should I believe you?" Scott said taking a step away from me. My mouth hung open, taken aback by his sudden reaction. "Because I'm your sister." I replied sheepishly. Scott chuckled darkly taking a challenging step towards me. "You're not my sister, you're just some baby that was left at the police department that my mum chose to look after. Then after a couple years you chose to leave with a man who NEVER cared about us." Scott's voice grew louder as he towered over me. I flinched back from Scott's hurtful outburst, looking up at him. Ethan tugged on my sleeve, pulling me back to the car. His words played over and over again. Each word stinging even more overtime, a sudden feeling of irritation washed over me. I ripped my arm from Ethan's grasp, storming back to Scott, who looked down at me with discontent. Tears flooded in my eyes, as my voice broke with every word I spoke. "You want to be mad at me for existing. FINE! But I left you and mum because I knew that if I stayed she wouldn't have enough income for the both of us!" I hissed shoving Scott away from me. My rage grew, as the words continued to pour from my lips. Static buzzed from within my clenched fists. "I hated staying in San Francisco with him, but I did it for the both of you." I pointed a finger at Scott my cheeks gleaming from my tears. The overhead light began to flicker as the tension thickened between the two of us and at last I held my tongue before revealing anything more. Before Scott could utter a word, I turned and left, not daring to look back.

I woke up to the buzzing of my phone, still not opening my eyes I reached over trying to feel for my phone on the nightstand. "Hello?" I spoke waiting for a recognisable voice to speak back. "Lettie, it's Ethan. I thought you should know that Derek's alive." I sat up instantly, Ethan's words fully awakening me. My mouth hung open in awe, Derek's alive? I ended the phone call rushing out of bed.

I ran up the concrete stairs, reaching the entrance of the loft. Bundling up my fists I pounded on the metal door...silence. My stomach sank, this better not be a sick joke. I pounded on the door again, this time harder...nothing. "Derek please. I need to know whether you are alive or not!" I yelled, my voice beginning to break. I held up my fists again, but before I could knock on the metal door again, it slowly opened. I stood in the doorway of the loft, a sick feeling churned in my stomach as I felt deja vu. It's just like that day Derek had found out about my alliance with Deucalion. "Derek..." I whispered into the emptiness of the loft, a painting on the window caught my eye. My shoulders fell as I recognised the symbol painted by the Alpha pack. I walked down the steps, pausing as I watched him emerge from the shadows. He was alive, Derek stood there a few feet away from me leaning against the stairwell. I froze, a part of me wanted to run up to him but another part of me wanted to just walk away from all of this. He gave me a small smile, to that I ran to him, tossing my arms around him. I held onto him, refusing to let go. "I'm sorry, I told them not to hurt you. I begged them Derek. I did everything I could." I apologised, my arms still wrapped around him. Derek pulled away from me, his brows furrowed. "Shouldn't you be in school." My glassed eyes blinked at him in confusion.
"I was told you died, and then told you were alive two hours ago. I come here guilty and apologising, and that's all you have to say?" My voice softened as the tears pooled from my eyes, and me quickly wiping them away. Derek erupted into a laughter, "I'm just teasing." He chuckled in between words. Resting his hands on my shoulders, he leaned down to my height, "But don't you think for a second that it was your fault." He spoke sternly, holding my chin, looking me straight in the face.