chapter thirty-seven

Start from the beginning

"Good morning, Brinley," Brooklynn says, her curious gaze falling onto mine as she notes Malachi working on two bowls of cereal, assumably one for the both of us. "Didn't expect to see you here."

I shrug, sending a nonchalant stare and mentally telling her to not make this a big deal. It is a big deal, but I only just got my man back. I don't want her surprise scaring him off. Again.

I accept the bowl Malachi hands me before taking a place on a barstool at the island bench. Malachi leans closer to me, his mouth breathing on my ear when he whispers, "We are going straight back to bed after this."

I nod, already having the same plan set in my mind.

Aidan gives Brooklynn a small nudge, urging her to hide her shock. He turns to me, offering a friendly smile when he speaks for the first time since I entered. "Have you heard anything about medical school yet, Brinley?"

Just at the mention of medical school, I tense up. Acceptance letters had been sent out via email and I have refrained from looking at them because of the fear of disappointment. Malachi must notice because, without flinching, his hand creeps onto my thigh and begins rubbing soothing circles on my outer thigh.

I ease, raising my gaze back to Aidan. "Not yet. They have sent the letter out, but I just haven't read the email. I might try to do it today." If my procrastinating allows me to.

My worrying has pushed all chances of succeeding and making it into medical school into the back of my mind. Quite honestly, I haven't even thought about it in so long because I already have accepted my fate of failure.

"Let us know what happens," Brooklynn tells me, a supportive smile spread on her face.

I nod, shoveling some spoonfuls of cereal into my mouth until I feel full from the looming anxiety. I am determined to open that fucking email today. I am going to do it.

Malachi finishes his bowl, and when he stands, he takes mine with him to the sink. Wordlessly, we wander back upstairs until we are laying on his bed yet again. I check the time, noting it is almost noon but having no power to get back up until the sun goes down.

"Are you going to open that email?" Malachi questions, his tone soft-spoken and treading carefully, almost.

"I am gonna have to at some point."

"You are one of the smartest people I know. I don't think your chances of being rejected are very high," Malachi reassures, dissipating some amount of my anxiety.

Warily, he hands me his laptop, typing and clicking for a quick moment before placing it on my lap. I stare blankly at the screen where a sign-in to my email is brought up.

Carefully, I enter my details and find the email at the top of my inbox. My eyes screw shut, my hands start to fidget. My entire fate lies in that email. A big call to make, but also a realistic one. I don't have a backup option unless you consider becoming a stripper a reliable source of income. Medical school has been where I wanted to go since I was a freshman in high school. I need things to work out for me.

"Do you want me to open it for you?" Malachi offers, sensing my mind working overload and anxiety flowing through me rapidly.

I nod, my fingers focusing on the hem of Malachi's t-shirt. I open my eyes, only to gauge his reaction.

My hands move from the hem of his skirt to fidgeting anxiously in my lap and I follow each one of his movements, his composure, his posture. And when he keeps a straight face, my fears are confirmed.

Bowing my head to my lap, I run my fingers through my hair to distract myself from crying right now. It isn't like I didn't expect it—I did. But it feels so much worse having my fears confirmed.

I glance upwards at Malachi, through my eyelashes, but instead of seeing him with the same straight face I did earlier, he is smiling. A rare smile I have only seen on him very few times.

"Congratulations," he says. His smile emits pride, and I am just in complete and utter shock.

"Wait... are you being serious right now?" I ask, needing him to confirm this isn't some cruel joke on me.

"I am not lying, I swear."

I smile so wide my cheeks hurt and I jump up from my place on the bed, bouncing right over to Malachi, throwing my arms around his neck and inhaling a deep breath of his scent.

"That's my girl. I didn't doubt you for a second," Malachi whispers into my ear, reciprocating the embrace and I feel like I have returned home once again.

"I love you," I murmur into his ear and I don't think I have meant any three words more than those. I love Malachi Creed with every inch of my being. He consumes every dream and every woken thought.

"I love you."

・    ・    ・

Malachi's fingers strum the last chord, the remnants of the sound reverberating against the metal walls of the large warehouse.

"I love listening to you play guitar," I admit, my head resting against his shoulder.

He brought me here again tonight. The vast field flows with the wind, the stars somehow appearing brighter tonight than they ever have in the past. We ended up ordering takeout food for dinner, even despite Brooklynn's desperate pleas to celebrate as a group for being accepted into medical school. The six of us ate the delicious Thai food but once that was over, Malachi and I crept outside and drove over to the abandoned warehouse.

It is peaceful here and quite secluded, and I can see why Malachi would seek this kind of place. When you are sitting on this ledge, it truly feels like you can disappear.

"Brinley..." Malachi starts, a sharp, audible inhale reaching his lungs. "I think I realized something."

"What did you realize?"

"I think I finally realize that I can be loved."

Pride swells in my chest at those words. His guard is falling, and he is acknowledging his demons and insecurities, which couldn't make me prouder. It was a prolonged road that still hasn't ended, but progress is ensuing.

"That makes me glad," I mumble, intertwining our hands in front of us.

"I think I also realized something else," he says, not waiting for me to question him again. "It is you. I cannot describe it with words that would suffice. But you are the only one that I will ever want. You belong with me and I belong with you. You are my safe haven. I look at you and can somehow picture us fifty years from now on the front porch, watching our grandchildren play in our yard. I need you because you are the only good thing that matters to me. You are my good... You are the moon to my sky of darkness."

I tear up, unsure of what to say that could compare to that. Malachi doesn't speak very often, but when he does, it is beautiful. It is like he is a wordsmith that has learned so much from years of hiding.

"I love you so much," I decide to say, pulling his face down to meet mine in a feather-light kiss. Quietness transpires, the both of us clinging to each other and staring at the beauty that is the night sky.

"Malachi Creed," I utter, captivated by this memory I will harbor forever. "Wanna disappear into the stars together?"

THE END