chapter twenty-one

INTO THE STARS
———
MALACHI

Pride and adrenaline intermingle in my blood from one of the greatest moments in my eleven years of living. Who knew playing one of the best soccer games of your life could fill you with such an... addicting feeling? I feel like I am floating in the clouds.

All I want to do right now is boast to the entire world about how today has been one of the greatest moments of my entire life.

It was tough, but my team pulled through and gain a good win. And not only that, Nona and Troy saw every move I made on that field. It was a shame my mom and dad couldn't make it, though. I cannot wait to get home and rehash every single detail of my game to my mom and see that prideful smile she always gives me.

A thoughtful smile creeps onto my face as I reminisce on every right move I made and all the mistakes I can work to correct during my next game.

The moonlight shines on my skin through the glass of the car window, casting a mysterious glow on the dewy grass as it passes in a blur. With every turn we make, my whereabouts become more recognizable.

Nona and Troy talk amongst themselves at the front of the car, my mind blocking them out while I admire the scenery, and get lost in everything around me and flowing through me. Troy makes the last turn, pulling onto my cul-de-sac where my childhood home soon comes into view.

The car comes to a languid stop. I glance out the window at the familiar house that I call home, an off-putting feeling itching at the back of my mind when I notice all the lights are off. Including the living room ones at the front of the house.

That's unusual.

I dismiss it, looking back at Nona and Troy. I give them a cheerful smile, hoping they know how much it means that they could make it to my game tonight. "Bye Nona! Bye Troy!"

They mutter their goodbyes as I waste no time jumping out of the car, the water clinging onto the grass, soaking into the thin material of my worn-out shoes.

I look back at them with each step I take towards the front door, waving an enthusiastic hand every step of the way. Their car doesn't move once, remaining parked even after I close the car door and skip up the driveway.

It only moves when I rummage through my pockets in search of the house key and unlock the door. The door opens with a struggle which I expected, doing the little trick I have now memorized to open it successfully.

When the door finally gives way, I am enveloped in my home's eerie darkness and the potent scent of something rancid. The entire house is dead-silent except for the wind blowing in through the open windows, sending the curtains flying in the house.

My hand follows the length of the wall, searching for the light switch I know is somewhere nearby. I move it up and down and once I find it, the lights in the dining room flicker on with a quiet click. The next one follows suit, the living room erupting in light as well.

At first glance, all seems normal, nothing out of place. But when I take one step closer, the scene in front of me has bile rising in my throat immediately. Tears prickle my eyes and at that moment, I wish I could erase the image I just saw.

Bloods... Lots of blood... Everywhere...

I shut my eyes, the image still haunting me through my memory. I run up the stairs to my bedroom as best I can with my eyes slammed shut, and nothing I can do right now will rid the image tormenting me. Violent shakes wrack through my body, and I pat my hands down on every surface imaginable in search of the only thing I can think to look for.