Despite this though, all she could do was nod back. The two falling into step next to eachother down the hall, universes of unspoken words hanging between them like thick fog.

James knew very well that Lily didn't owe him anything. As much as he pleaded and made jokes about winning her over when he was younger, at the end of the day he knew if she truly didn't want to be with him, he would respect that.

And truthfully, he could deal with that.

It was more so the fact that for the past months it had seemed like it was really going somewhere. Her flirty banter with him, or the way her cheeks went flaming red whenever he was around— was he dumb, or were these signs that they were more then just friends? He felt foolish for nurturing a flame that felt the warmth of a thousand fires one moment, and cold ash the next.

Perhaps in his younger years James would've made a joke about it all, made her roll her eyes with laughter and borderline annoyance. Though he was just so tired of it all. The boy merely keeping his mouth shut and hands stuffed in his pockets as the night went on.

"Oh come on James, what is it?" Lily asked, though her voice was not accusatory nor hurtful, it was actual quite raw. A slight bite of nerve hidden between her words.

In response James shrugged casually, his face emotionless, Lily completely unable to read whatever was going behind those pretty hazel eyes.

"I don't want to be a pain to you anymore Lily," James finally spoke, his voice much more quiet then it usually was. "I know we've had our differences in the past, but I'd like to think you at least want to keep me around as a friend."

"James of course we are friends!" Lily spoke genuinely, her eyes glued to James as they walked.

His distant tone panicked her, or perhaps it was the mere suggestion of James not being in her life.

"You know, I was a bit harsh earlier, I apologize," she said again when James fell silent.

In response he snorted, his eyes glued in-front of him. "You can't apologize for how you feel."

"I don't feel like any of those things though! I was just—"

Something in James snapped, the boy stopping in his tracks as he turned to Lily.

"Lily I can't keep doing this," James voice broke off, tears welling in the back of his throat.

"James-"

"No lily— I can't. For years I've been there for you and for years I've been trying with you, but if all you think I am is some arrogant blok who sits in the back of class— merlin Lils, I don't know," he broke off, running a hand through his hair in stress, eyes refusing to look at her.

"What don't you know?" Her voice was pleading, searching his face for answers his words would not give.

"I don't know if I can continue to be...." he paused, unsure what word to use for what lingered between them, "friends. Lily you have broken my heart time and time again, and I just don't—"

James Potter never did get to finish that sentence. For next thing he knew the smell of floral perfume was gracing him closer then ever, then a pair of ever so soft lips brushed against his.

For a moment he was about to faint— a moment that he had dreamed of for years finally happening in front of him. And nothing in his life had ever felt as perfect.

There friends had made jokes over the past few months about them snogging, but the truth of it was not once had they crossed that line. Though now, with the moonlight streaming in from the window, it was clear that now that they did there was no going back.

When she finally pulled away both their faces were flushed, James reaching a hand out to brush the side of his face in disbelief, gapping.

"D-did you just snog me?" James asked partly confused.

"Yes," Lily said rather angrily, crossing her arms in a huff. "And you know what James..."

Her finger was pointed as her brain decided as if she should just do it. It was one of those moments where you don't think, for if you think anxiety will shoot you down. It was a just do it moment, so taking a deep breath she looked him the eyes, lowering her hand.

Though she had to admit she was terrified at what she was about to do.

True recruited love requires you to open yourself completely and honestly for someone to see all that you are. It's to not hide the imperfect corners, and the demons hiding in the soul. It's to let them know your worst thoughts, deepest desires, and most horrible self, and still decide to love you.

because trule recruited love requires you to be raw, open and truthful.

As you can imagine, for perfect golden girl Lily Evans this was more horrifying then anything she could ever imagine.

If she truly let him see all that she was— not the manufacturered golden girl she was, would his love fade?

That thought alone send shivers down her spine, because really James Potter meant a lot to Lily Evans, and she was tired of pretending he didn't.

"Maybe sometimes I'm a bitch to you. And yes, I used to think you were an arrogant, toe rag, annoying, immature, devious, borderline sociopathic—

"Uh-" James tried to interject, not quite liking where she was doing.

"—I'm not finished— the point I'm trying to make James, is I was wrong."

"You were wrong?" James asked, scrunching his nose, seriously confused.

Sighing in frustration, she ran a hand down her face.

"Merlin Potter, what will it take for you realize I'm in love with you?" she snapped in frustration, eyes immediately widening as she realized what she just said.

James completely froze, staring at her before his face broke out with his classic wide grin. Radiating with warmth as he let out a hollering laugh, joyful and full of life.

"Sorry, can you repeat that?" he asked, slight mock in his voice. "Ow!" he hissed as she kicked him in the shin.

"I just told you I'm in love with you and that's your responses!"

"Sorry your what?"

"MERLIN JAMES! Do I have to spell it out for you, I think your the best person I have ever met in my entire life. Your annoyingly handsome, annoyingly intelligent— I don't think there's a single person out there who doesn't love you-" Lily paused as she realize James was purposely getting her to ramble, a cheeky grin on his face as he stared down at her.

Lily never felt more insecure in her life. She had just confessed her love for James Potter of all people, and here he was giggling like a manic well she was a blushing mess. She crossed her arms over her chest, letting out an annoyed sigh.

"Lily," James said more softly, reaching out and ever so gently tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. "If you would so please—"

James never did get to finish that thought, as the startling sound a blood curling scream interrupted them. Both Gryffindors locking eyes before running off in the sounds directions.