Regulus stayed quiet throughout the lesson, only glancing at James occasionally. The idiot was constantly distracted, playing with things around him and fidgeting non-stop 

When the bell rang, James darted out of his seat and out the door, leaving behind his jumper and quill.

Letting out a dramatic sigh, Regulus gathered his things as well as James' and made his way up to the Gryffindor common room.

He snuck past the painting, who was too busy talking about herself to some poor first-year. When he entered the common room,  he made a beeline for James,  who was sitting on the couch, legs tossed carelessly over the edge.

"Reg, what are you doing here?" He asked, sitting up straight and making room next to him on the couch. The common room was fairly empty, with only a few uninterested students meandering around.

"I owe you an apology," Regulus muttered, shifting uncomfortably. 

"It's okay," James assured him quickly, "I get it. It's not a big deal."

"Yeah but I shouldn't have-" Regulus stopped short as his brother walked by, absorbed in his doodles. Regulus rolled his eyes when he noticed his hair was pulled up with his wand.

"Hey, little bro, what's going on?" Sirius asked, coming to an abrupt halt and looking up from his sketch.

"Nothing."

"Excited for the break?"

"Piss off Sirius," Regulus snapped. James noticed how he tensed at the mention of break.

"Someone's cranky," Sirius commented, raising an eyebrow as he began to continue his sketch as he paced.

"Someone needs to know when to shut the fuck up," Regulus retorted hastily, crossing his arms as he watched his brother walk away.

"Okay, okay," James said, standing up and putting a restraining hand on Regulus' shoulder. "Why don't we go upstairs? Sound good?"

Regulus only sighed and nodded, allowing James to lead him upstairs to his dorm room. Regulus sat down heavily on the bed and rubbed his eyes as James closed the door behind them for privacy.

"Do you want to talk about it?"  

"No."

"Okay," James replied quietly, "can I sit with you?"

Regulus nodded, dropping his head back into his hands tiredly. He felt the bed dip when James sat next to him and heard the sigh escape James' lips.

Regulus looked up to see James' despondent expression, his fingers twitching.

"You miss it?"

"Miss what?" James asked absentmindedly, looking at the wall.

"Smoking."

James stilled suddenly, realizing what gave him away instantly. "Sometimes," he responded truthfully, "it's getting better though. Just gotta keep busy."

"That makes sense..." Regulus replied quietly. The silence resumed and James' fingers started twitching again. Regulus instinctively grabbed James' hand, slamming it down against the bed. James jumped at the sudden motion.

"Sorry," Regulus murmured. He did, in fact, not look sorry at all. He kept his hand placed on James, not making any attempt to move closer or further.

James' face was growing redder and redder by the second, feeling Regulus' warm hand. His fingertips were calloused, and he trailed his fingers over the back of James' hand, effectively distracting him from the lack of a cigarette.

"So," James coughed awkwardly, "what's going on?"

"I just haven't been sleeping. It's not a big deal."

"You know...Remus usually lays with Sirius to help him sleep."

"Are you coming on to me darling?" Regulus asked with a smirk.

"No, that's...that's not what I meant," James explained frantically

"James. I'm kidding. We can try it if you want but I make no promises that I'll be able to sleep."

"Worth trying," James smiled back softly, getting up to close the curtains, blocking out the afternoon sun.

Regulus looked slightly more nervous now, but he moved to sit at the head of James' bed, leaving James enough room to slide in next to him.

James walked over slowly, tentatively.  "Is it okay if I take off my shirt? I run warm but if not, that's okay too-"

"James," Regulus smiled slightly, "it's fine."

"Right," James smiled nervously back, pulling off his shirt before sliding into the bed next to Regulus. Regulus cautiously pulled up the covers, allowing himself to melt into James a bit.

James wasn't kidding. He ran warm. Reg could feel the heat radiating off him as they lay entwined, Regulus finally allowing himself to relax.

Within twenty minutes, he was asleep and James was comfortably cuddled around him.

(1320 words... I'm sorry it's been so long. I also don't love this piece but I feel really bad for leaving you hanging.  New semester and whatnot.  I'll try to update more frequently again. Any requests?
-T )