S3BE1 ♖ Anchors ♖ Part 2

♖

We recount everything to Deaton. Stiles, Allison, and Scott's nightmares; what Kira said; Stiles's reading problem and how in his dreams people use sign language—all of it.

"It sounds like your subconscious is trying to communicate with you," Deaton says.

"Well, how do I tell my subconscious to use a language that I actually know?" Stiles asks.

"Do you remember what the sign language looked like? The placement and movement of the hands?"

"You know sign language?" Scott asks, surprised.

"I know a little," Deaton says. "Let me give it a shot."

"Okay, the first one was like this." Stiles holds up his hand and touches his two index fingers together.

"That's 'when'."

"Then, there was this," he holds his hand up and motions one like he's opening something, "twice."

"That's 'door'."

"And this in between it." Stiles does another motion with his hand.

"That's it?" Deaton asks.

"Yeah."

"When is a door not a door?" Deaton translates.

"When is a door not a door?" Stiles repeats. He glances back at me, wondering if her heard that right.

"When it's ajar," Scott says.

Stiles scoffs. "You're kidding me. A riddle? My subconscious wants to tell me a riddle?"

"Not necessarily. When the three of you went under the water, when you crossed from consciousness to a kind of superconsciousness? You essentially opened a door in your minds."

"So, what does that mean?" Scott asks Deaton. "The door's still open?"

"Ajar," Deaton confirms.

"A door... into our minds?" Stiles asks.

"I did tell you it was risky."

"So, what? They need to close it?" I ask.

"Well, that's difficult to answer—"

"Oh, no!" Stiles interjects, looking at Deaton. "Wait a second, I know that look—that's the 'we know exactly what's wrong with you, but we have no idea how to fix it' look!"

"Wait," I say. "So if a door is open, can anything get in?"

"Possibly," Deaton says. "Having an opening like that to your mind? It's definitely not good. You each need to close that door, and you need to do it as soon as possible."