XV

―Stop running, you little worm! ―The scream was heard behind the door, followed by something similar to a grunt and the strained voice of an elderly woman. An instant later, the huge black door slowly opened, letting out a loud shriek. Before Murray Sinclair's eyes, stretched the lobby of Addams Manor. The wide wooden staircase loomed in front of him, dimly lit by the sconces and candles on the wall, for the day, completely overcast, obstructed the passage of natural light through the dusty windows.

―Come in, come in! Just give me a second... AHA! ―A loud bang was heard followed by a shriek that the man could not identify. A moment later, a hunched woman with all the appearance of a witch who has long eluded death entered from the right, where, the man guessed, there was some kind of room, as he could made out. From her shoulder hung a cloth bag with a suspicious green liquid dripping from it, and in her other hand she carried an old bat.

―Oh, sorry, dear. You caught us in the middle of our weekly game ―The toothless grin made the man uncomfortable, and he looked rather rushed and, especially, tired ―I hope you don't come to talk to us about religion, here we only listen to the voices of the dark ghosts of our ancestors... and one or two demons ―said the old woman, winking.

The man, confused, looked at her for a few seconds, then blinked rapidly remembering what he was coming for and looked around for the eldest daughter

―I... no. I'm here to look for... Is this the Addams home? ―He finally asked, turning to look at the woman, who was looking at him with shrewd eyes.

―Who's asking? ―She replied, and the man noticed how she gripped the bat tighter.

―I'm-I'm Murray, Enid Sinclair's father... she's a friend of Wednesday Addams...

―Ahhh, our beloved infernal tormentor! ―Grandma finally relaxed her arm, dropping the bat to the floor, which made a loud clatter ―I'm sorry, but Wednesday is not at home at the moment.

―B-but... Where is she?! H-how can I find her?

―My daughter is in Romania ―Morticia's deep, feminine voice reached the man, who turned at once. From the left wing of the house, completely darkened, emerged a sensual figure wrapped in a black dress. Enid's father remembered her from that day at Nevermore, with the families' visit ―How may I help you?

The man approached her, forgetting the old woman, who watched, interested, the encounter.

―M-my daughter... my youngest daughter, her name is Enid Sinclair, I... ―The werewolf found it difficult to articulate the words and Morticia then noticed his desperation ―I need Wednesday's help to find her... ―he finally blurted out.

Morticia looked at him with deep attention, her black eyes piercing the man's blue eyes, noting his sincerity and anguish. Her instinct understood that the girl was in danger.

―Werewolf, is that right?

―Y-yes. My daughter too...

―Follow me.

They made their way to the lighted area of the mansion, a decadent-looking room with a long black carpet with an intricate red and gray design on which rested a large, sturdy dark wooden table. They sat next to each other.

―Your daughter is missing. Tell me, how can my daughter help you?

―I-I... I think that if your daughter comes with me, E-Enid will probably... let herself be found...

―And what exactly makes you suspect that, Mr. Sinclair?

―Because... because I believe my daughter is... in love with yours.