XIII

As soon as he understood what he was listening to, Xavier stopped the audio, disgusted. Filled with confusion and anger, he replied to Ajax.

"What the hell is that?!"

"Wednesday sent it to Enid..."

More annoyed than before, Xavier, being the intelligent and intuitive person he was, began to understand what was going on.

"It's clear to me... how come you have it?"

Ajax, who had not expected this question so soon, felt a bit taken by surprise and in an impulse of self-defense, he lied.

"Enid showed it to me."

Immediately the feeling of guilt came over him again and he bit his lip, waiting for the answer of his closest friend. The last few days together with Enid had tormented him deeply at the thought of the possibility that Wednesday and Enid... If so, it made sense of the blonde's attitude since before leaving on vacation, when, confronted several times about her cold attitude towards him, the blonde would do nothing but try to deflect the subject or take refuge in the black-haired girl's presence. With a ringing in his ears, prey to pent-up anger, Ajax turned the possibilities over and over again and imagined hundreds of scenarios, trying to elucidate which of them had the greatest chance of becoming reality. Wednesday and Enid couldn't have... or could they? Ajax held his head with his eyes closed, trying to push those doubts out of his mind. Ultimately, at this moment it was Ajax who shared Enid's closeness, not Wednesday. The girl was thousands of miles away from her, with her best friend. If Enid never found out about that message, perhaps they would both have the time and distance to come to their senses and return to Nevermore with a clearer mind. Ajax attributed this whole emotional imbroglio between the girls to the traumatic situation they had both had to experience a couple of days before leaving the academy...

"How's Enid?"

Xavier was analyzing what little he had heard of the audio, unable to repeat it because of the discomfort of knowing he was invading the privacy of both girls. Wednesday was suffering then. The Addams girl's very isolated attitude now found a completely coherent reason. Xavier was racking his brains as he realized that, then, of course, his farthest hopes of stealing that dark heart were dashed. That heart already belonged to Enid. He sighed finally, leaning against the wall of his room. Looking up at the ceiling he let himself feel that loving disappointment as it came at that instant.

"She's fine, why do you ask?"

The answer confused the boy a little, but he still gave his reasons to his friend.

"Why would I show it to you? It seems pretty private..."

Ajax thought about that argument that he had not considered, for he was acting totally guided by the anger of knowing he was the victim of a lie. Even if Enid and Wednesday had had nothing, Enid had lied to him by telling him that nothing was going on. I mean, the girls were roommates. If Wednesday had confessed her feelings to Enid, it was only natural that Enid would have been overwhelmed. Why then didn't she trust him to deal with it?

"I asked her why she wasn't talking to Wednesday lately and that was the reason she gave me. I guess she wants to give her space to get over it."

The answer made sense, but to Xavier's keen intuition, something didn't quite add up. But why would he distrust Ajax? Nor could he tell Wednesday that he now understood everything, for he would have to tell her how he was able to understand and Wednesday would then feel completely attacked in her privacy. Therefore, unlike Ajax, Xavier let out a deep sigh, trying to dilute his feelings for Wednesday in him and realizing that, more than a boyfriend to get Enid's heart out of her, Wednesday needed a friend. And that was what he was for. His chest filled with a sadness no longer for him, but for the brunette girl, for surely she would be unable to find a way out of what, most likely, was troubling her heart. At least in that, he did have experience.