X

―Enid ―Wednesday murmured as she watched the blonde sleep. She had woken up a few minutes earlier and, with great care, had managed to free herself from the embrace so that she could get up. Now, next to Enid's bed, she listened to her breathing deeply. With her finger he moved a lock of her blonde hair and gazed at her for a moment longer, looked at her nose and the movement of her lips as she sighed in her sleep, watched her shoulders and her gaze slid down the pink skin of her back. Aroused, she quickly straightened up and covered her body a little more. As she did so, she breathed in the wolf girl's scent and leaned down to press a kiss to the top of her head. Enid stirred in her sleep, but did not wake up.

Wednesday walked to her desk, where she took a piece of paper and a pen only to scribble a message in case Enid woke up to let her know she would be back later that night, so she would not worry. Se left the message on Enid's bedside table and made her way to the door. Carefully closing it, she took one more glance toward the girl's bed and exited, but as she turned around, she stopped in her tracks. Thing waited sitting on the stair rail, wiggling its fingers as if they were legs.

The black-haired girl felt herself begin to blush before she cleared her throat and headed for the stairs. Thing caught up to her, hopping towards the backpack she always carried with her. On her shoulder, Thing gestured graciously, as if hinting at a "Well, well..."

―Not. A. Word. ―Said Wednesday, gritting her teeth. Thing settled back on her shoulder, again wiggling its fingers in the same manner. The sun was already beginning to set as the girl walked into the woods, where the light was fading faster. A few minutes later, they approached to Crackstone's crypt, where the candle wax was still melted on the floor, but the jars with human parts had already been removed by the police. Once inside, Thing hopped off Wednesday's shoulder to walk around on its own, scanning the place.

Wednesday walked slowly, the sound of her shoes echoing around the place. With her fingers she brushed the seal where her blood had served as a key and continued to brush around the grave. She looked around nonchalantly. The faint moonlight was filtering through the skylight, giving everything a gloomier tone. After a while, she let out a sigh and sat down in front of the tomb, the entrance to the crypt in front of her. She hugged her knees and immersed herself in her thoughts.

A while later, Thing tapped on her shoe, drawing her attention.

―Hundreds of times you've seen me enjoy my solitude in a crypt, what makes you think this time it's any different?

Thing drummed, hoping for a more sincere answer. Wednesday let out a sigh, hating the moment that piece of anatomy had become so close to her.

―For such a little guy, you're pretty intrusive. ―Thing responded with a "Well..." and Wednesday, still hesitant, decided to fill it in on the situation ―I don't understand what's wrong with me. Since that night, I've been having trouble sleeping and I've completely lost my appetite. I think about Goody and what she told me about learning to use my visions. I think part of me is afraid that something even worse than this is going to happen. But what terrifies me most is that this time I will be unable to stop it, whatever it is. Enid was right, I do endanger everyone to get what I want..... Maybe it is better that I stay completely alone. I am a selfish person who thinks that the end justifies the means. However... ―she hugged her knees tighter and Thing patted her shoe affectionately, encouraging her to continue ―however, my selfishness does not prevent me from feeling an even greater fear when I see Enid's face. When I look at the wounds that pierce it... Thing, what happened to her is totally and absolutely my fault. I'm being tortured by the awareness of that fact. And I'm not even enjoying it. I can't imagine a scenario worse than any where Enid doesn't get off with a couple of scratches. What I'm feeling makes me uncomfortable. I want to stay by her side for as long as possible, as if I'm afraid that something might endanger her in some way... Last night when Enid asked me to stay by her side I couldn't say no. You know what I mean? I don't know what it is, but... ―she quieted suddenly, determined that it wasn't necessary for her to give Thing all the details about the last few hours. She sank her face between her knees, hiding it from Thing ―I can't get Enid out of my head.