Chapter 9: Fever

"What? What the hell is he thinking? I've only been here for less than a month, Richie, and now you're telling me you're going to be a dad?" I asked him in disbelief, frustration evident in my voice.

I ran my hands through my hair, feeling overwhelmed by the news.

"Look, Becky. I just wanted to keep you updated since you're going to be an aunt. I'm not telling you to come back here, so stop pressuring yourself." Richie laughed, but it only made me roll my eyes.

"Just make sure you take care of the mother of your child." I hung up, not wanting to continue the conversation.

"What did Richie say?" Mom asked, stirring the porridge she was cooking.

Freen had a fever today after spending three hours bathing yesterday, so I asked my mom if she could make some porridge for her.

"He's going to be a father," I replied.

Mom shook her head, a smile on her face.

"You knew, didn't you?" I asked her.

"I was the first person he called last week. I told him not to tell you yet because I knew you'd overthink it. See? I was right." She chuckled and continued cooking.

I pouted and sat on a stool.

Richie had confessed to having a crush on Freen the last time we talked. I couldn't help but wonder how he could impregnate someone while supposedly having feelings for Freen.

Or maybe he didn't actually like Freen, and he just said that to make me jealous.

"Earth to Becky?"

Mom's voice snapped me out of my thoughts.

"I said I'm going home. You should bring this to Freen." She handed me the tray with a bowl of porridge, and I took it from her.

"You can stay for the night, Mom."

"I know, but I have a lot of things to do." She patted my head and left the kitchen.

I went to Freen's room, tray in hand. When I opened the door, I saw her shivering despite being covered in a blanket.

I placed the tray on her bedside table and searched for the thermometer.

"39.1°C. This isn't good," I murmured to myself.

"Bb, can you turn off the air conditioner?" Freen asked, her voice trembling.

When I looked at it, I realized it was already off.

I took off my Vanica x Live Event black shirt, leaving only my bra, and crawled into bed next to Freen. She was cold and needed body heat.

I held Freen in my arms, and she buried her face in my chest. We were still under the blanket, and I could feel her trembling. She couldn't move her fingers, so I intertwined them with mine.

"Are you still cold?" I asked gently.

"Yes, but I feel hot inside," she replied, her voice hoarse and her lips not moving properly. "Stay here, bb. Don't leave me."

"I won't. I'm right here."

I felt her nod, and within minutes, she was peacefully asleep.

This was the first time I had seen this vulnerable side of Freen. She was always lively and sometimes bossy. She was the type of person who would never let anyone trample over her. She was fierce, and that's what drew me to her.

I kissed the top of her head and succumbed to drowsiness.

»»---------------------►

"Good morning!" Freen greeted me as she wrapped her hands around my waist.

I was wearing only a sports bra, leggings, and an apron as I cooked breakfast for us.

"You look sexy today," Freen complimented, making me blush.

"Guess you're feeling better now. You're teasing me," I replied, avoiding eye contact.

She rested her chin on my shoulder, trying to get a better view of what I was cutting, and held my hand.

"I hope we can stay like this forever," she whispered. "I want to wake up every day with you by my side, cooking breakfast together, and spending our days and nights cuddling."

"I'm your assistant. You shouldn't be doing that to your assistant." I teased her and turned my back to face her, then playfully pinched her nose.

"Well, I already did. We slept naked last night," Freen said with a mischievous grin, causing me to roll my eyes. She then gently caressed my cheek, looking at me intently.

Freen slowly closed the distance between our lips when my phone rang, abruptly interrupting the moment.

"Excuse me," I said, slightly flustered.

Freen rolled her eyes and crossed her arms over her chest.

I answered the call when I saw who it was. It was Freen's manager.

"Hello, Khun?"

"Becky? Where's Freen? Is she okay now? We've already caught the person who drugged Freen's drink," she explained.

"That's good to hear, Khun, but what about her canceled meetings? Will they be rescheduled for next week?" I asked.

"Most likely, but the producer of her new drama wants to discuss something with her and Love today. Can she go?"

"Yes, I'll ask her to get ready now. See you in a bit, Khun."

I hung up and looked at Freen, who was still in the same position but now with an irritated expression.

"You have to go, so go get changed. I'll change too."

This was the beginning of my nightmare. Seeing her with Love would undoubtedly be painful for me.