Chapter 38

I don't know how this happened. But it look so normal that Sophia is here, eating with us and having a somewhat close relationship with my Mom!

I mean how did this happen, right? Hindi Naman pwede in just an instant you can have a comfortable bond with someone you just met. Pero it looks like Sophia and my Mom enjoy talking to each other. They seemed close pa nga actually and I'm really confused as to what is happening right now.

I know this is not their first time to meet. And my mom is thankful for Sophia for what she did for me in the past. But this is just their second meet right? Or I just thought so?

"Mom, parang close na close kayo." I blurted out habang tinutulungan ko syang magligpit Ng kinainan Namin.

Nagpaalam muna lumabas si Sophia after Namin kumain Ng lunch. I tried processing everything when I saw Sophia here at our house. I mean what is she doing here? And how did she even know our house?

My mom looked at me smiling.

"Via, Sophia is a regular customer in my shop. Pa-minsan Minsan dumadalaw Siya. I like her actually. Nababawasan ung pagka-miss ko sayo." She said while getting the last plate from my hand and putting it in the sink.

"You mean it's not the first time she was here?" I asked, bewildered by the thought she was here a couple of times and I didn't even know it!

Tumango-tango si mom at sinimulan na nyang mag wash Ng plate.

I'm shocked.

"How's Pio? Kelan Siya babalik?" My mom asked changing the topic. Her question come in a blurred sound so I didn't quite heard it first.

"What?" Nagulat Ako sa tanong nya, Hindi ko masyado naintindihan because my mind is occupied with thoughts of Sophia's being close with my mom!

"Si Pio kailan Ang balik?" She asked again while washing the dishes.

"--a month or so. He's quite busy." I said feeling a pinch of sadness with the thought of Pio's not being here.

"Ahh, so you're gonna stay here longer right?"

"Just for a week mom. We're just given a mental health break after exams. I still have school." Sabi ko getting some fruit from the ref.

"Well good. Sophia's will be here for a week too." She said sounding excited.

I stopped midway from eating my apple when I heard what she said.

"She's staying here???" I asked in disbelief.

Tumango-tango si Mom, then wipe her wet hands in the hand towel.

"Why?" I asked sounding so confused.

"What do you mean why? She's your friend. May problem ba if she'll stay here?" She asked walking towards me to cup my face with her hands like what she used to do since I was young.

"You two enjoy your week off from school. Our door is always open for anyone you're close with. And besides, Sophia's really nice. Your dad likes her too." She said then kissed my both cheeks. "I miss you dear, glad you're home."

I watched my mom walked out of the kitchen and went upstairs. I just stood there for a couple of minutes before deciding that I need to talk to her.

I went outside to look for Sophia. I didn't saw her at first. Pero nasa likod Siya Ng house nakaupo sa may swing na nakatali sa malaking puno Ng acacia. That was my swing when I was a kid. I used to sit there alone just enjoying the breeze of fresh air.

I walked towards her. Nakatalikod sya sakin kaya di nya Ako agad napansin. I stopped midway when I saw a cigarette in her hand. I didn't know she smoke.

Siguro naramdaman niyang may tao sa likod Niya kaya napalingon Siya sa kintatayuan ko. Her face lit up when she saw me.

Tumayo sya smiling at me, my eyes is looking at her cigarette on hand. She puffed once then throw it on the ground and stepped on it to kill the fire.

"Hey," she said so casually.

"What are you doing here?" I asked sound annoyed. I keep detracting myself from her but she's like this leech that keeps lurking around me.

She flashed me her smile kahit na alam Kong kita Niya sa reaksyon Ng Mukha ko na Hindi Ako Masaya na Makita Siya sa pamamahay ko.

"Your mom invited me." She said plainly.

I scoffed. I'm not buying it.

"Really? I don't want to play your games Sophia. Whatever it is your doing..stop it." Sabi ko with a straight face. I watched her to see her reaction. I'm expecting a serious one, but to my dismay she just laughed at me.

Lumapit Siya sakin at pumwesto sa may bandang Tenga ko para bumulong.

"Chill Via, I'm just here to breath some fresh air. It's just a good thing that you're here too." She said in a slutty voice. I felt her warm breath to my ears.

Naglakad na Siya palayo, papasok ulit sa bahay habang naiwan akong nakatayo pa din sa kinakatayuan ko.

I watched her while biting my lower lip to contain my emotions. I don't know if this is anger or scary feeling that I am feeling right now.

All I know is I need to make her leave or I'll be the one leaving.

*****************

I locked myself in my room after I confronted Sophia. I'm still hoping she'll decide to just go home and not to spend her entire week here.

I tried contacting Pio but he seems so busy. His last message to me is Nung morning pa. He told me he's going to be super busy for preparations and stuffs but I miss him already.

I'm so used to his every hour messages just to update me of things he's doing. Ngayon parang nakakausap ko na Lang sya every night after his work tapos sobrang brief lang since sometimes they are outside after party or sobrang pagod na sya so I will insist na he should take a rest.

I know I should understand him since I decided to support him with this project diba? Pero I can't hide the fact that I'm feeling lonely.

A knocked on the door interrupted me from sorting my stuffs. Nagdala lang din Kasi Ako Ng iilang gamit since I still have my other clothes here sa cabinet.

Nagbukas Yung door Ng room ko and my Mom's head popped out from the slight opening.

"Hi sweetie, can I come in?" My mom asked. Parang may need siyang sabihin sakin with the sound of her voice so I let her in.

"Do you need help with your things?" She asked maybe trying to weigh my mood.

"No mom, I'm good. What it is?" I asked while I put my skincare in my vanity cabinet.

"Well you see... Our guest room are occupied with store stocks as of now...so since Sophia will be here-"

"She can take the other rooms." I cut her. I know where this is going. And I'm not falling in the trap again.

"Anak, you know your older brothers right? They come and go. Hindi natin alam bigla na Lang Sila umuuwi dito. What if Sophia is using the room? Nakakahiya Naman sa kanya anak..you know your brothers." My mom said explaining the things that might happen.

Bigla bigla na Lang din Kasi umuuwi Ang mga Kapatid ko dito especially pag may away asawa Sila. Since they still have their rooms here at Hindi Naman din pinaalis ni mom Ang mga gamit nila they think that they can just go home anytime they want. But it's not a reason to just accept my mom's idea right?

"No. No. No. This is MY room, mom." I said aggressively.

"Via, Sophia's your friend." My mom asked looking so confused with my reaction.

"Is there any problem sharing a room?" My mom asked.

I cannot tell her anything. I cannot tell her that I'm not comfortable sharing room with Sophia because we just had sex. I cannot tell her we're not even friends because she might suspect something isn't right.

"It's just--- one night. Just one night."