𝐼

"Nobody smart plays fair"

November 6, 1943, present day, Maine

Evelyn's pov

Here I was 5 years later in Maine, at Evergreen Academy for Gifted and Talented Students.

I stared into the mirror, deep in thought, as I washed my hands. It was apparently so deep that I didn't even notice when I hit my rose scented soap bottle off the side of the sink. "Shit," I groaned as Ibent down to pick it up and then finished rinsing my hands.

I walked out of the bathroom and into my room. I rummaged through my drawers trying to find something to wear. My eyes skimmed over the box that my wand and my dagger was in. I pulled my eyes away from it after a few seconds. Once I found what to wear, I slipped my feet into my shoes and tied the laces.

I grabbed my gun and walked out of my room. I wandered down the many hallways and stairs till the smell of breakfast hit my nose. I walked through the open doors. As my eyes scanned the room I saw Misti Robinson and a group of girls sitting by the far wall, chatting with each other. My eye's moved across the room till I saw Charles Rich, my boyfriend. Well kinda.

His eyes caught mine. He waved his hand, motioning me over to the table he was sitting at. "Hey, Evie," he greeted me, smiling a little too brightly at me when I stopped in front of him.

As I was taking my seat across from him I replied. "Hi, Chaz."

He took a sip of his orange juice and then asked, "How much did you sleep, are you okay? You look tired."

"Give me a break. You know we had a hard mission yesterday." I rolled my eyes.

"What's wrong with me being worried about you?"

Everything. I thought as I looked him in the eyes and told him, "Nothing," with a blank face.

He must have known that something was off. He raised his eyebrows at me questioningly. "Are you sure you're okay? Did you hit your head or something?"

I questioned back, "Why do you care?"

He scoffed at me, "Why do I care? Cause you're my girlfriend?"

"But am I really?" I probably shouldn't have said that but who cares. Not me.

He didn't answer, instead he just glanced down at his hands.

"Hmm. Don't know what to say? Do you?" I mocked him slightly. Maybe a little bit more.

"Misti really." He finally came to the realization. I nodded at him. "Look, I didn't do anything with her." Lies.

"I know everything so lying won't do you any good." I felt red hot rage rush through my blood.

"I'm not lying."

"Shut up! You are. I know you've slept with her multiple times."

He raised his voice slightly "Cause you didn't want to sleep with me."

And

"Wow. And you're not even denying it," I told him, "Why does it even matter?"

He looked up at me, the look of anger drawn on his face. "You're right. Why does it matter?"

"Oh, so now you're trying to mock me." I say grabbing my gun, taking it out of the holster, making sure to keep it out of sight.

He slams his hands on the table while standing up. "I am." At the sudden noise some of the students peer our way with questioning faces.