CHAPTER 83

Valerie's POV 

The sadness lurking around his expression when he left the room to see the doctor is no longer there. It has been replaced with something unreadable but much more intense than the sorrows I could feel within him. 

Just from the fact that his Mother couldn't remember how she got here, I am beginning to put the puzzles together.

At first, I thought it was all a pretense but now I see the reason why she never remembered my visit to the house and why she did not claim to have called me over.

I see the reason why she never act as if I was there as a witness that morning. 

Something is definitely wrong somewhere. Something is fishy.

I had slipped out of the room without her knowledge when the nurse signaled me to leave. I wanted to wait outside so I could ask Ryan all the questions I have.

Suddenly, he looks straight into my eyes and I see it.

This time, it isn't sorrow or sadness.

What I can see behind his eyes is nothing but fear. 

And denial.

Quickly, I move in to hug him. I know I should have done this earlier but I feel we both need this. This confusion is becoming too much for me too. I can't seem to wrap my head around what is happening so I don't want to blame him anymore for not believing a thing I say.

Refraining from asking him what the doctor said could be the cause for her forgetfulness, I hug him more tightly.

But he moves away before I could think of what else to do. He grabs his head in between both hands with a heavy sigh as he spins around.

"Hey, Ryan", I drop his hands and hold them tightly, staring at him intensely. "What did the doctor say?"

He does not answer. He isn't looking straight at me either. He seems to be avoiding me and the question too.

Or probably he is ashamed to tell me what it is. If this is the case, then he shouldn't have called me here.

I really do not know if I am here as his wife for the moral support he needs or as a person who is a supposed witness.

"Ryan, are you going to say something?"

"I don't know", he answers with more confusion skating on his expression.

"You don't know?" I almost shout at him in frustration. "I am asking what the doctor said."

"She can't remember a thing", he points to the door. I nod. "And she has no cancer."

That does the trick. I thought it was going to be something I know or something I am aware of. I have been trying to figure out why she forgot incidents that have to do with her poisoning while she remembers others and I have concluded that it must be one of the side effects of the poison.

But this. This news right here is something I never expected in my wildest imagination.

Unconsciously, my jaws drop open. "What?!"

"Yes", he holds onto me too as he replies. "I am as confused as you are. I don't know what the doctor is saying and I don't even know what else to believe. First, she was diagnosed with cancer, now she is poisoned and then she has no cancer…how is that even possible…what is…"

"Ryan?" I cut him short from his ranting, pulling him beside me and moving towards a seat.

He is restless and his body is trembling. I make him sit before facing him squarely so we can continue our discussion.