CHAPTER 49

Ryan's POV

With my tongue laced over my lower lip in remembrance of the kiss and how cold Valerie was, I enter through the front door, holding firmly onto my briefcase.

I haven't been able to get the kiss out of my head, even though I made a resolution to do that when Valerie began to act all cold toward me.

I couldn't escape from the office earlier to go check up on them again at the hospital but I tried to call her and it wasn't reachable.

I don't know if this restlessness is a result of the kiss or worry over her father's health and the answers we are bound to get at the end of this all.

I just hope the truth about their relationship won't hurt any of us. If our parents aren't on good terms with each other, I fear what would happen between Valerie and me.

I hate that side of her, to be honest. I hate to see the disdain in her eyes. We have gone past that stage and I really do not want us to go back to that again.

I have been trying to sort out my feelings too and the reason why I kissed her but I haven't been able to think of a genuine reason why I did that other than the fact that I wanted her.

I can no longer deny it. She is driving me nuts. The attraction I feel toward her is becoming stronger with each passing second. 

At first, I thought it was because I wanted a woman. I thought it was because it's been a while since I got laid and that was why I was attracted to the woman closest to me; Valerie.

But this is just too much of a normal sexual attraction. I don't want to go over the line as well but I can't help it.

I have made a decision, though.

Taking the staircase up, I get to my door within minutes. I turn the doorknob and enter to see the empty room.

I stroll in, closing the door quietly behind me, thinking Valerie must be inside the bathroom. Even if she spent the whole day at the hospital, she ought to be home already because it is late.

When I drop the briefcase without hearing a sound from the bathroom, I pull off my jacket and take long strides toward the bathroom door.

We need to talk. We should talk about the kiss. We shouldn't keep quiet over something I consider passionate. She might not feel the same way but it's fine. I have a solution that might make me get over her as quickly as possible.

I place my ears on the door so I can hear the sounds of the running shower but there is nothing. I knock, hoping to hear her answer so I don't have to open the door.

There is still no answer so I twist the knob and it opens. Slowly, I open the door and peep in. I just want to be sure that she is here.

To my amazement, the shower isn't running and the bathroom is empty.

Is she not back from the hospital? Has she gone to her parent's home? 

I close the bathroom door and let out an exasperated sigh with my hands akimbo.

Where the hell is she?

I came home for this and she isn't here. I let out a disgruntled groan.

Walking back to the bed to get my phone, I quickly dialed her number hoping she would pick it up this time.

Fortunately, it rings and she picks up at the second ring.

"Hey", I say, finding myself suddenly speechless.

"Hi", her low voice replies, and she falls silent.