Chapter 29

Severus and I walked into the dining hall, the multitude of students' conversations creating a large roaring sound as we walked down the center of the room. The potions master walked briskly ahead, his cloak billowing behind him, hanging off his stiff posture magnificently.

"Ms.Finch!" I heard a couple of students call in greeting which made me smile. One of my favorite parts of teaching was gaining the student's trust, which they desperately needed when their professor was Snape. Though much less severe than he had been, he was still intimidating and it wasn't suited for most learners.

I sat next to Severus as usual, making quiet conversation, usually turning to talk to my other table partner, Trelawney, Eric usually piping in when her phrases became too muddled. She was always kind enough to ask how my apprenticeship was going, her dazed face much more matronly the more we spoke. Cedric would lean over to join in when Professor Sprout wasn't talking his ear off about how poorly Hufflepuff was doing with their house points. Cedric had always been one of Sprout's favorites and often roped him into sitting with her at quidditch matches, but I think that was more so to help fend off all the teenage girls attempting to sneak a seat near him in the stands.

Though I was liked by most for my help in potions, I got dirty looks from Cedric's jealous admirers. There were always rumors going around that we were dating, something Seth loved to bring up. I didn't see the other Hufflepuff as much now that we had progressed so much, but during our meetings, he always threatened to humiliate us by bringing up our questionable friendship to Dumbledore, though we knew he never would. We would kill him if he did, but it got a good chuckle from the other apprentices when I blanched slightly and Cedric would whack him upside the head.

I had been attempting to spend time with Cedric and the other apprentices. I couldn't make things too obvious, and I also knew a little bit of space was healthy for Severus and me, though I dreaded our time apart. I couldn't stop thinking about him, and from the way he continued to fill my schedule to ensure my consistent presence I would bet he felt the same.

The potions master had admitted to being lonely and isolated, partially by choice, and partially by circumstance. I could tell he got irritated at times by our companionship due to the fact he simply was not used to it, but I think he was happy to have someone he could stand for once.

I went out that Friday night to Hogsmeade with the other apprentices for some drinks and time away from the castle. I had spent all day with Severus and yet all I wanted was to be back with him. I couldn't help but feel like an outsider looking in on their youthful joking and immaturity. I had once longed to have friends like this, but now it didn't compare to the mature passion I shared with my professor.

The Hogs Head was dark and dingy, the drunk patron's laughter abrasive, and I wanted nothing more than to leave. I tried my best to focus on Eric's explanation of Trelawney's latest predictions and the lesson she had him teach.

 I tried my best to focus on Eric's explanation of Trelawney's latest predictions and the lesson she had him teach