Chapter 11

Lupin, were you entertaining another guest?" Snape questioned as he whipped out his wand, his guard up as he scanned the room, his gaze finally landing on the staircase off in the corner of the living room.
Lupin had begun nervously running his fingers through his hair, his breathing shallow as he stuttered. "Uh-um, I do have someone staying with me." He gulped loudly, eyes shifting back and forth.
"Tell. Me. Who." Snape enunciated, his wand landing on Lupin as he cautiously moved towards him. I knew better than to make a peep. Even if I could move I wouldn't. I was glued to my spot, terror overtaking me. Why was Lupin so nervous about us knowing he had someone else staying with him? Who could he possibly have upstairs that set Snape on edge? If Snape was nervous, then it must not be good.
"Now Severus, please don't get upset, I figured you wouldn't want to see him." Lupin rushed, his hands going up.
"Lupin, I have my apprentice with me. Now you better tell me who else is in this house!" The potion master barked. Did he care about my safety? He probably just didn't want to deal with the consequences if I didn't make it back.

Just as Lupin was about to answer, a door creaked open at the top of the stairs. Thin, yet suave legs slowly appeared as the unexpected guest cautiously began their descent. I held my breath as a handsome, yet gaunt man came into view. His wavy dark locks fell past his shoulders, and he wore a smirk as he held his hands where we could see them.
"Well hello, Severus, long time no see. I hope you don't mind my intrusion." The man's voice was gravelly and deep, and dripping with sarcasm.
"Lupin you didn't tell me your mangy little dog would be joining us." Snape had yet to lower his wand, his body still tense.
"Now now Severus, there's a lady present. Do tell me, who is this lovely creature?" I didn't even think the stranger had noticed me, but his smirk widened as he turned to me. His eyes grew hungry and heated as he racked over my figure. I stepped closer to Snape, wishing I could hide under his cloak. I felt exposed and uncomfortable, yet...very powerful. I both detested and loved the way he was taking me in.
"Sirius, this is Iris Finch, Severus's apprentice. Remember how I told you about the new apprenticeship program we are starting this year?" Lupin answered quickly before Snape could.
Sirius. That name sounded familiar. Clearly, this man and Snape were acquainted already. The wave of hatred in their eyes when they looked at each other said there was a history there. There was a reason Lupin did not want them to meet.
"Iris," Sirius said, my name on his lips sending goosebumps up my arms. "Pretty name for a pretty girl."
"Black I suggest you leave my apprentice alone." Snape interrupted, taking a protective step in front of me.
"You poor thing, how did you get saddled with this foul beast? And he calls us dogs." Sirius shook his head, peaking around Snape to look at me once more.

"Severus, I apologize, but I needed someone to stay with me

"Severus, I apologize, but I needed someone to stay with me. I have been growing too weak and required assistance. It was not my intention for you two to see each other." Lupin pleaded, finally sitting on the couch as his exhaustion got the best of him. The full moon was tomorrow and it must have been taking a toll on him.
"Ms.Finch, go into the kitchen and crush the moonstone. Let's get this over with." I quickly snapped to attention, his demand the only thing ungluing me from my spot behind him.
"Oh please let me help you." Sirius offered, his voice sly and silky.
"I'd like you where I can see you, Black!" Snape pointed his wand again, forcing Sirius to freeze.
"She won't know where anything is, and my friend over here is too weak to show her around. I promise I won't bite her." The strange man reasoned a feigned look of innocence on his face. He did have a point, even if he did seem untrustworthy.
I looked back to Prof Snape to see him nod in approval, though he looked hesitant.
With his consent, Sirius held the kitchen door open for me, and I clutched my cloak tight as I walked past him, panicked at the thought of being alone with him.