Chapter Thirty: Lies All Around

THORAX

"Do I really have to go to this event?" I asked Dad.

"Yes. All of the staff have to attend, and I'm sure Lakita is bringing Celeste and Addison."

"Well, that's because those two have nothing better to do."

"Oh, and is there something that you have to do?"

I rolled my eyes.

"What I'm saying is Addison is a try-hard and so is Celeste."

"Don't talk about your classmates that way. They're excellent students. They have better social studies grades than you."

"Dad!" I groaned.

He laughed. "Relax. But just remember that tonight is the anniversary of the Phoenix's Rising, and it's an incredibly special celebration. All of the deities are coming, and I need you to make a good impression."

"Take a chill pill. I've got this."

The night was incredibly boring. While dad chatted with all of the staff and introduced me to a few random people whom I didn't know, I pretended to be enthusiastic tonight when in reality I was anything but. It seemed that everyone in town had arrived because what looked like the whole school had gathered in the gymnasium. It was like the Christmas auction but so many more people.

As a light jazz played in the background, I stepped away from Dad and Zechariah to talk to Camilla who seemed just as bored as I was.

"Lonely too?" she said.

I nodded. "Why are you here?"

"You know my mom. Typical Aphrodite. Wouldn't miss it for the world."

I looked at the goddess of love and saw her conversing with Autumn's dad and an angry looking Winter.

"So what's the big deal out of all of this?" I asked. "Why are all the 'magical people' here?"

"The Phoenix Rising Celebration happens once every twenty years. It's not that rare, but it's still something people take very seriously."

Damian seemed about as eager to be here as Winter, and this was the first time I'd ever seen both of his parents. They were followed by Phoenix and her parents who looked to be very stern people.

"Ever seen so many people?" I said.

"Yeah," Camilla said, sounding a little distracted.

"Who are you lookin' for?" I asked, noticing she was looking all over the huge gathering.

"No one."

"Aaaaah....I know who you're looking for..."

"No!" she exclaimed, blushing.

"He's probably going to be around Celeste. You'd have to separate those two to get them alone especially since it's what...month...9...? I lost count during October."

"Hmm..."

"Whatcha thinkin' about?"

"I—never mind. The thought slipped out of my head."

"Anyways, bestie, I'm going to check out the fruit punch and possibly slip a little tequila in there."

"WHAT?!"

"Nah, I'm just kidding," I said.

Camilla looked a little upset, but I thought it was an amazing joke.

"Hi, Thorax!" said a cheerful voice.

I thought it was Cameron, but to my surprise, it was Vivenne. "Hi!—oh, hi, Vivenne."